emergency brake help

65up2d8

Mar 30, 2005
Memphis, TN
As I stated in another thread, I'm finally bringing my '65 home this weekend from my parent's house 2.5 hours away, and I'm really stoked about having my baby back! My problem is that Memphis has a mandatory vehicle inspection that I won't pass currently. The inspection requires a working e-brake, among other things I'll likely post other threads about.

I replaced the original 8" rear about 10 years ago with a Versailles disk brake rear. My original e-brake cables were virtually non-existent so I trashed them, and like a real dumbarse, I didn't keep the Versailles e-brake cables either. Yet, from what I understand, it is next to impossible to get the Versailles e-brake to work correctly, even if I had the cables to splice together.

So, from a low budget standpoint, what do you guys suggest? I currently know of three options, none of which I am particularly thrilled about from a cost or performance standpoint, which are as follows:

1. Purchase new cables for a '65 and new cables from the Versailles to splice together, which from what I understand will still likely leave me with a substandard e-brake that might not pass inspection even if I can figure out how to make them work since the floorpans have been replaced and mounting brackets that may be necessary are likely gone.

2. Go with a pinion mounted e-brake, which looks pretty cool BTW, but is way too expensive. Here's the link for it, but it also requires many other high $ parts found elsewhere on the site. http://www.tperformance.com/street_rod_store/emergency_brakes/pinion-mounted_emergency_brake_kit/

3. Per Ultrastang :hail2: , convert to Explorer rear disks, if possible since I don't know currently if my Versaiiles rear is compatible, and buy '65 e-brake cables and get my hands on some Explorer e-brake cables to splice the two.

None of the above particularly excites me, however, as I want to go with the Ultrastang rear Cobra disk conversion, but I don't have the funds at present to buy 17" wheels to replace my 15" Centerlines. I need a cheap alternative that will get my e-brake working to an extent that I can apply it, give the car some gas while I let out on the clutch in gear while being observed, and which will hold the car in place while I do so. Any suggestions? Sorry for the long post.

• Sponsors (?)

This won't be full of how-to info, but someone else may be familiar with this method: you can plumb a solinoid into your rear brake line and, using a momentary switch, activate the solinoid to clamp your rear brake pads against the rear rotors. I will have this done soon here in Cali, but I'm not doing it myself and so have not done the how-to analysis.

Time to revive this dude.
Just bought a 69 vert. It has a X magna flow and the floor pans have been worked on. The e-brake cable has been cut at the cable housing at the rear axle. The brake pedal and release are still there. I bought the the cables, clips, and housings from NPD. Other than the obvious connections underneath, I don't have a clue how this should be run correctly. Does anyone have a diagram or pictures of the correct routing, ie. through frame parts, floorpans, firewal, whatever. I cannot pass inspection without an e brake. Time is running and I have two weeks to register the car. Wife will be pissed if she can't drive it. Haynes manual has been ordered but who knows if it will show what I need. Thanks for any help.