Emergency Brake

bullitt1939

Jul 18, 2009
I have a 67 coupe and the emergency brake handle is froze in the outer postion. It was like this when I got it. Any suggestions on how to free it up? I have tried sparying it with lub and hitting it with a hammer and it will not budge. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

You will have to remove the control from the dash and clear the corrosion. If it looks hopless, just get a new one, or a decent used one.

11225_280_210_l_n.jpg

I had a jammed up EBrake on my 66 when I bought it too only it was jammed in the disengaged position and I couldnt twist it or pull it out.

I ended up taking it out from under the dash (after disconnecting the cable from under the car) in order to get a good look at it. I found a lot of grit and some rust in it. After a couple of cans of WD40 and a lot of elbow grease (and a few beers). I was able to work it loose and now it moves easy.

Get your out from under the dash so you can take a good look at it. If you have the time (and WD40) you might be able to work it loose. (It can be fun to give it to your kids and watch them struggle with it.:lol:) If it's really rusted out, then a replacement would be your best option.