SN95 Emissions: Possible

joetrainer31

15 Year Member
Mar 31, 2013
SC
For anyone who may be wondering about passing CA emissions with aftermarket components, it is possible. However, you must have the CARB EO #s. I just easily passed the test with GT40 heads, FRPP shorty headers, GT40 Intake, FRPP 65mm TB, BBK CAI, FRPP E cam, 351w, 24lbs injectors, hi-flow cats, and a BAMA tuner. I think the tuner made all the difference.

I have all my emissions equipment in working order on the vehicle. It is possible to pass CA emissions with an E cam!

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I love CA and travel to San Diego for business frequently....but their zany vehicle and firearms laws keep me from ever wanting to live there.

I'm in MA, which isn't that much better...but even still when I get my car inspected, they just say "cool car" and send me on my way.

in new orleans we don't do emissions, only 2 parishes (equivalent to counties - no counties in LA) that require emissions testing are baton rouge and livingston AFAIK

emissions testing aren't possible in new orleans due to politics, they're some greedy, thats why disney land and a full nascar track aren't located here

It also depends on where you live in California & whom tests the car. Last time I smogged in SoCal(San Bernardino); the shop I went to failed any aftermarket cold air intake setup since none have a CARB number on them. Surprisingly though, he didn't mind that I only had 2 cat's instead of the mandated 4 units.... If I still lived in SoCal; I'd go ahead & pay for a "pre-test" with the guy just to make sure we both see "eye to eye".....

I have to mention the wonderful procedures for Oklahoma in this thread. You hand a tag agent (no DMV in OK) proof of insurance and some money, they hand you a sticker. Done. I love Oklahoma.

It also depends on where you live in California & whom tests the car. Last time I smogged in SoCal(San Bernardino); the shop I went to failed any aftermarket cold air intake setup since none have a CARB number on them. Surprisingly though, he didn't mind that I only had 2 cat's instead of the mandated 4 units.... If I still lived in SoCal; I'd go ahead & pay for a "pre-test" with the guy just to make sure we both see "eye to eye".....
It might be helpful to know that both MAC & BBK CAI have a CARB #. I just affixed mine on the product as directed. The emissions guy saw it, checked it, and moved on. Furthermore, my E cam has a CARB #, I just provided it for the guy and he was fine.

It might be helpful to know that both MAC & BBK CAI have a CARB #. I just affixed mine on the product as directed. The emissions guy saw it, checked it, and moved on. Furthermore, my E cam has a CARB #, I just provided it for the guy and he was fine.

The catch to this is that as of 2010; California requires the part itself to have the carb number information cast or stamped into the part(s) itself. Technically, stickers and or paperwork documentation that was perfectly fine\legal before 2010 is now no longer good enough... It's really going to depend on the smog tech you decide to visit & learning how he or she will interpret the laws on your given car.... Doing a pre-test will give you an idea on how the person performing the job will interpret your car's mods...Maybe he or she will let it slide, maybe he won't.... IMHO.

Last edited: