Engine and Trans Price Check

This is officially a cart before the horse post.

"Hot rod parts 289 ford motor with al manifold, and carb, C-4 tran $225.00"

Is this what one should expect for this kind of money? Checking with person on year of engine. Hopefully they know because I have no idea.

• Sponsors (?)

Everyone wants crate motors and/or EFI now, so it's a buyer's market on carbureted stuff right now.

• Happy
Reactions: 1 user
With all the trouble (allegedly) with the flat tappet cams getting wiped out from the lack of zinc in modern oil everybody wants roller engines, good for restoration with year specific parts,
if you know what to do the flat tappet cams can work for long time but it's old technology.

I can't remember if the 64 1/2- 66 had the vin stamped on the block, I think they started that in 67. Most look for a date coded block that would match the date code on the car.
we are not saying it's not good or not worth the money, just depends on what you are doing.
i personally think that is a good deal for a restorer.

@Noobz347 I'm ok with you moving it back to the vintage forum, it's was more a hypothetical question. I don't need a bunch of modern owners asking why anyone would want that old piece of junk.

...and I'm ok with not posting valuation threads in discussion forums. That's how many forums end up trashed.

I'm also not interested in every Tom, Dick, and Harry, popping in here to create an account to ask the question: "What's this worth" or "How much should I ask" or "What should I pay".

That's not what we're here for.

I have however, created a forum for just [that] and it is where these kinds of threads belong if they are not deleted completely.

The final issue I have with these kinds of threads is that whatever number you get from [anybody] is going to be completely arbitrary depending on where in the world they reside and what the market is at their location. :shrug:

• Agree
...and I'm ok with not posting valuation threads in discussion forums. That's how many forums end up trashed.

I'm also not interested in every Tom, Dick, and Harry, popping in here to create an account to ask the question: "What's this worth" or "How much should I ask" or "What should I pay".

That's not what we're here for.

I have however, created a forum for just [that] and it is where these kinds of threads belong if they are not deleted completely.

The final issue I have with these kinds of threads is that whatever number you get from [anybody] is going to be completely arbitrary depending on where in the world they reside and what the market is at their location. :shrug:

It's very reasonably, although it can get tiresome, for people new to the Mustang world to want to know if they are getting in over their head. People can get caught up with the infatuation of a car and get totally ripped off. Hopefully the community is there to support them. Nothing is worse than grossly overpaying only to have a bunch of people laugh at you because you didn't ask first. Thank you for supporting this forum. It's a lot of work herding the cats.

It's very reasonably, although it can get tiresome, for people new to the Mustang world to want to know if they are getting in over their head. People can get caught up with the infatuation of a car and get totally ripped off. Hopefully the community is there to support them. Nothing is worse than grossly overpaying only to have a bunch of people laugh at you because you didn't ask first. Thank you for supporting this forum. It's a lot of work herding the cats.

We try to be accommodating without breaking the rules that have kept us successful for the last er... 20 something years. It's the reason why the "What's it Worth" forum was created. It will make even more sense for you in particular once your account matures a bit more and you can lock your own threads once you've gotten an answer you think is sufficient.

In the meantime: You can 'unsubscribe' from that thread when you feel like you've gotten what you can from it so that subsequent posts don't appear in your alerts. That's really the feature that allows that specific forum to function.

Someone creative might make a thread in Fox section for instance, "I'm thinking about using X combo to go with Y. I don't know what X is worth so please see my valuation thread here: (link to valuation thread). While I puzzle through this project".

...but there's also an additional benefit: Search engines! The next time someone else goes looking for the value of X, he/she may find it in the Valuation forum and not have to ask again. So, my intention is to have a lose, community run index of common parts to Mustangs (any platform since many parts will cross).

I know it all seems quite arbitrary sometimes but you can ask some of the other Moderators... We spent a little time trying to decide how to deal with, "What's it worth". Invariably, what often happens, is that "What's it worth" ends up becoming a, "Aw hell, I'll give you YZA for X if you decide not to use it" etc... *sigh* :rolleyes:

Thanks again for everyone’s insights. I had focused only on the vintage section and didn’t even look anywhere else. Now I know I didn’t word it carefully enough to get the result I really wanted which was just a thumbs up or down. Live and learn!