Engine Bay cleaning and detailing?

BOSS4.6L

Apr 10, 2005
Montana/Arizona
Hey I was wondering what would be the best technique to cleaning the eng bay, I live In the great "Dust Bowl" of Pheonix Az and I have no problem with a little dust in the eng bay but when it rains here it turns to mud(sorta!). I have been told to just spray it off, but atleast cover up the intake/throttlebody, and the Battery. I am worried that I could screw up the electrical components if I spray it. Does any body have and sugestions? thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Before you spray down your engine and degrease it, I suggest covering the electrical components with plastic bags. Then start up your car and spray the degreaser, let it sit for a minute or two, then hose it off. If it's your first time, maybe break down the engine into thirds and do each section at a time. After you're done degreasing, spray some tire shine onto the engine, then wipe off the excess....it will look better than new.

i didn't cover anything. coated it with Simple Green, waited a few, and sprayed it down using a very low pressure mist. Unfortunately, this was my first time doing it (got these tips from a friedn), so I may have doushed the engine a little too much. car misfired like a bastard, but after giving it enough time for the moisture to dry out, it's fine again. still have a cyl3 misfire so there could be some lingering moisture. looks great and runs like normal again...
words of advice: use a very low pressure mist, and like whiteheat rec, cover the plugs with baggies. you should be golden. send some pics of your results...

Turn the engine on for a few minutes until it is warm to the touch not piping hot. Cover the alt., dizzy, fuse box, or anything else that could be damanged. Use a citruis(sp?) or water based degreaser (they are not harsh to the paint/metals) use a parts brush or old tooth brush to clean. Start from the bottom and work your way up, this helps from spreading grease/grim/dirt that may become attached to your arm. Lightly mist it down till all is removed, leave the hood up for a while to help dry things. Turn it on for a few minuts again to help heat things up so they dry quicker. Then use a water based tire/interior dressing they dry to the touch and not attract dust. A good cheap more importantly water based dressing is Armor all Original. Good luck.