I had to remove the engine bay light many moons ago- it didn't work. It was coiled up and stuff in the rear corner by the previous owner. Probably because it didn't work. Guess the mercury dried up. I tested it but doesn't look repairable. No continuity on the DVOM. And the connector at the small fusible link on the other end of the wire broke off. Might be able to fix that part.
So are these things fixable? Its original and I'd like to keep it. Appears to be held together by two rivets. I could put on another socket but needs to be mercury.
Thoughts are most welcome.
I put about a hundred miles on it last weekend. Love it. (The car, not the light.)
Here's the light I have. It is the older style. I say that as I believe the light changed somewhat maybe late 80s, not sure. I could go searching for one at a yard. And the pliers were to hold it down to photo the wire. If anyone has one for a decent price, please let me know. Thanks.
'87-'88 are as shown minus the LED lamp (obviously).
Mine stopped working properly years ago. I stays ON all the time, even with the hood closed.
Notice that the mounting is different from the later models.
I've tried to fix the existing one. The mercury must be stuck in one side and/or some kind of internal short.
Sometimes it will blow the fuse on that circuit. I leave it unplugged.
Not to blow up the discussion but with all the magnetic high output LED light devices now why go to all the trouble....unless you are doing a 100 point restoration? I mean they are small too. It's always good to have a portable light in the car anyway for checking things at any area of the car. Just wondering.