Engine Block Heater

• Sponsors (?)

My '88 5.0 came with a block heater. It's a replacement freeze plug with a 120V power plug in the grill. Always thought it was a dealer add-on, but years later when I got a Marti Report, it does list the block heater as a factory equipped option

EDIT: corrected info

Last edited:
Yes, block heaters are a necessity in "da colt nort"

I bought my GT in Canada before I moved to Ohio, so it has a block heater.. Everyone always asks me what the plug is for.. Some people even think my car is electric.. I'm not sure if it's an option.. In Saskatchewan, it's just expected that you get a block heater.. That would be like not getting tires..

Like Mustang5L5 said, it's a replacement for one of the freeze plugs. It has what looks like an oven heater element on it. The cord runs from it to the front of your car.. On a cold night you plug it in and listen for what sounds like a coffee pot starting and go inside..

I bought a focus in Ohio and it doesn't have a block heater..

Riley

It says in the owner's manual where the block heater is standard equipment. I think it Canada and all of the northern fringe of states, like Montana over to Wisconsin, Michigan and some of the New England states.

Mine came with one, but it's never been used. As soon as there's salt on the roads, she sits until it's gone.

where do I find it, driver or passenger side. I have come to the conclusion that the cord is gone but hoping there is a heater in one of the freeze plug holes, gonna need this come winter, or maybe just install a circulating heater

Passenger side. Either rear or middle plug.

I just removed mine this past winter and put a regular plug in. It had just started to corrode and leak

EDIT: Oops, I thought i was on the 5.0 forum for a second. That's the location on my fox

Last edited:
The FLAPS should have a seasonL display of these out of the back room any day now if you want a new one.
I wish I remembered where my magnetic engine heater went. The block plug heaters that warm up the coolant help heat in the car, where this makes startup easier with warm oil.