Engine Engine build on 89 5.0 opinion

I have a 89 Gt. Just took the engine out to do the oil pump as it failed. I'm at a cross roads of where I should go from here. Wanted some suggested as to what others have done for builds.
Keep it as a 302 with stock bottom end but do a top end kit?
Bored and honed 306 with bottom end built and top end kit?
Bored and honed 306 with stock bottom end with top end kit
If I'm going through the trouble is a 331 stroker a better option?
The car is mainly a street/summer cruiser Elly be dragged stripped. Looking for good power.
Any suggestions on HCI combos are also appropriated.

• Sponsors (?)

I say if your oil pump failed, keeping it a 302 isn't wise. You say you want power? How much power you willing to spend?$$$? A cheap 306 stock rebuild with top end kit would be sweet. If you go stroker skip the 331 and go 347. Set a h.p. Goal, make a plan, and plan to spend way more then you thought.

I say if your oil pump failed, keeping it a 302 isn't wise. You say you want power? How much power you willing to spend?$$$? A cheap 306 stock rebuild with top end kit would be sweet. If you go stroker skip the 331 and go 347. Set a h.p. Goal, make a plan, and plan to spend way more then you thought.
Why skip the 331? I see this mentioned here and there. They clearly manufacture it for a reason.

Why because it you go threw the process of stroking your motor you might as well get the most out of it. The prices are to close to call, so it makes sense.

I'd ideally like to be able to rev it out a bit more. First Gear spun the tires Nd second gear from 2K onwards was a bit of a struggle for it. I'd like to build something that I can hit 2-4 from about 2k to 6K during pulls. A stock bottom end with a heads cam and intake is a better option or a 331 bottom for the assurance of things?

i guess that depends on our wallet. i just did something similar. i pulled my motor because of a slight lower end knock with the intentions to just find a used motor or a stock rebuild. It had 190k so it was time but i ended up going with a 347 stroker with AFR heads and all the supporting mods and 6+k later its still nickel and diming me to death. lol

Reactions: 1 user
i guess that depends on our wallet. i just did something similar. i pulled my motor because of a slight lower end knock with the intentions to just find a used motor or a stock rebuild. It had 190k so it was time but i ended up going with a 347 stroker with AFR heads and all the supporting mods and 6+k later its still nickel and diming me to death. lol
With the few builds I have done, this is truth!! Its a snowball effect. One thing comes up, you fix/address that and then something else pops up. Seems it is never ending, along with what we are wanting seems to change as the builds go along.....

Reactions: 1 user