Engine dies while idling?

chaka

Founding Member
Mar 1, 2002
Boston, MA
Engine is a 302 in an 86 F-150. It runs great above idle wether or not it is warmed up or not.

When idling while partially warmed up or completely warmed up the engine will begin to die and then surge. repeats a few cycles and dies. Does this in every gear when car is stopped. Once car is moving engine has no problems.

At a stoplight it will hesitate off idle and then run smoothly once the idle is up.

When the engine is dying and surging the voltage will drop to 12.5 and rise to 13.5. Above idle the voltage varys between 14.2-14.5. Voltage does not rise above that.

Also the air pump pulley is removed because the air pump is seized. Besides that everything is stock setup.

How can I fix this? :shrug:

Recent tuneup before I purchased with motorcraft parts. The P/U then sat for a year.

I know it is not a 2.3, but you guys know your stuff.

• Sponsors (?)

Perhaps your idle speed is set too low. Once any vehicle warms up a little the rpm's at idle drop. So when you first start your truck the idle speed may be high enough to keep it running, but once it warms up, the idle speed drops, your rpms are too low to keep your motor running, and it dies. Just a suggestion. I dont know how to adjust the idle speed on those trucks but I know on 2.3 Mustangs there is a little flat-head screw near the throttle that you turn to increase or decrease idle speed. If you cant figure out how to do it, take it to your local shop and they will have it figured out in a second. Also, Im sure you could just call your local ford dealer and ask one of the service guys, they would probably know. Or maybe somebody else on this forum knows.

JamesBaumann said:
Perhaps your idle speed is set too low. Once any vehicle warms up a little the rpm's at idle drop.

Thought this too. But it wasn't doing it before and I never messed with the idle.
Let my cousin borrow the truck. When I get it back I will hook up the tach and see what the engine is spinning. Then raise the idle if it is below 850-900.

Thanks,
chaka

Any other suggestions?