Engine Engine gets hot and cuts out.

Xkuzme1

Sep 21, 2019
Kansas City, MO
New to me Car. Somewhat of a Frankenstein engine. Donor car was a 1993 Fox Body GT. The engine was rebuilt and upgraded with:
  • Edelbrock victor
  • Cobra intake
  • Fly cut pistons
  • Compcams 1.7 roller rockers
  • Compcams 1pc hardened pushrods
  • 130 amp alternator
  • King cobra clutch
  • X-303 cam (286 degrees @ .050)
  • MSD distributor
What I am not sure of is if the MAF or the injectors were upgraded from the 19lb injectors. I suspect the cobra 24lb injectors and matched MAF should have been upgraded.

My car will get warm after 20-25 mins and start to cut out and hesitate. I suspect that it is running too lean because of the smaller injectors, but I really have no idea. It’s just a guess.

With the x303 cam I am told that the most performance should be happening above 4000 rpms. Even when cool, the engine cuts out above 4000, and the hotter the engine gets, the lower the RPMs have to get before the hesitation starts.

Anyone have any ideas?

Also, what MAF/Injectors does everyone thing I should be running with my setup.
Thx

X

• Sponsors (?)

High speed miss on a warm engine
Revised 24 June 2019 to add new source & part number for TFI removal tool .

The TFI module mounted on the distributor is one of the culprits for a high speed miss on a warm engine. The other suspect is the PIP sensor inside the distributor. If the problem does not occur when the engine is cold, the TFI module or PIP is definitely suspect. Dumping the codes may help determine which one it is. You may need a special socket to remove the TFI module, but most auto parts stores will have one for $5-$7.

It is not uncommon that the replacement parts may be defective; TFI modules made by non Ford manufactures seem to have a high failure rate.

Be sure to use plenty of the heat sink grease on the new TFI and clean the old grease off the distributor.
10550469_lis_64650_pri_larg.jpg

Lisle P/N 64650
See https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...0kH8DTh2LmTcgnmc_E4aAuCIEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

attachments\.586550

diagram courtesy of Tmoss & Stang&2Birds
TFI_5.0_comparison.gif

tfi-module-troubleshooting-gif.586550

Assuming when you say "victor", you mean the heads and the engine is a 302/306, 24lb injectors (blue) and a matching meter would probably be right.
With that said, I doubt the injectors are why it's missing when hot.
Most likely TFI or pip.

And jrichker is right, do not buy anything non ford branded for ignition.

Thanks guys. I’m headed to Ford now for the FTI. That’s an easy fix. Then I’ll head to the PIP if that one doesn’t work. By looking at the pic, best guess on the fuel injectors?

Thanks a 1000000

X

Attachments

• E0C8EC2D-ADAC-4950-BE42-4FF6EAA70268.jpeg
    E0C8EC2D-ADAC-4950-BE42-4FF6EAA70268.jpeg
    340.4 KB · Views: 118