Engine has trouble Starting sometimes

SmokeMaker

Oct 2, 2006
I have an 03 Gt. Some times after the car has been sitting over night when i turn the key it takes about 2 tries for the engine to start. I don't understand what this is. I put fuel flush solution in it and i also replaced the fuel filter still has the same problem. I was thinking it might be the fuel pump but i don't think so since when i press on the gas the tone of the engine turning over is higher indicating that there is infact fuel being added. If You can help please let me know.

I also just bought an 03 cobra and want to get every ones thoughts on Twin Turbo Kits and witch Company is the best. I have thought abought doing a junk yard special but i don't know if i want to put parts like that on my new baby.

• Sponsors (?)

Same exact.. i m an exact problem as my 97 gt. If i try to start it the next day.. it doesnt crank on with a single flick of the key. You have to hold it pretty long and it keeps turning than it pops on with the v8 roar.

If i dont hold it and unturn the key early i usually get a nice sound like when a starter is the problem.

Dunno.

Somebody posted recently that the Ford dealership replaced his alternator, saying that it was sending incorrect voltage to the PCM causing it to not start correctly.. that was an '02 I believe, however.

TT is up to you man, there are 5 or 6 decent companies out there.. HP, Helion, STS (universal kit), just to name a few.

i have had some issues like this , but i think mine was tune related. before you started, turn the ignition on for like 3 or 5 seconds, it always started up for me right away when i did that lol. i dunno, worth a shot, may point you in the right direction

senewell said:
Could be:
#1. Fuel Filter
#2. Idle Air Bypass Valve
#3. Fuel pump
#4. o2 sensors
#5. Induction (vacuum leak / clogged air filter / etc...)

02 sensors would not effect a start up issue.. engine is in open loop durring any start up so it's ignoring any 02 inputs at that point.

What you need to do is get a fuel presure gauge and watch the fuel presure while this problem is happening. We have seen this problem be caused by the fuel pump before.. In fact it was a very common problem on the explorers a couple of years ago. What was happening is the fuel was draining out of the lines overnight and it takes the pump a little longer than normal to build back the fuel pressure.

svttech76 said:
02 sensors would not effect a start up issue.. engine is in open loop durring any start up so it's ignoring any 02 inputs at that point.

What you need to do is get a fuel presure gauge and watch the fuel presure while this problem is happening. We have seen this problem be caused by the fuel pump before.. In fact it was a very common problem on the explorers a couple of years ago. What was happening is the fuel was draining out of the lines overnight and it takes the pump a little longer than normal to build back the fuel pressure.

Yep, mine does this i forgot to say. My buddy hooked up a gauge thingie and mine went from like 28 to 10 within 5 minutes after we shut her down. By the time morning came it was already @ 0 psi. We changed the fuel filter and we got the same problem :/

Twista said:
Yep, mine does this i forgot to say. My buddy hooked up a gauge thingie and mine went from like 28 to 10 within 5 minutes after we shut her down. By the time morning came it was already @ 0 psi. We changed the fuel filter and we got the same problem :/
How about the fuel pump? If the filter isn't the culprit, I bet it's a worn out pump.

Some times an easy fix is to turn your key to where the battery is on and let it ding a few times then start the engine. I think someone told me it helps prime the fuel pump. There's been a few threads started over the years and for many this has worked. Guess it depends overall why it's not starting right away :)

On warm starts sometimes mine wouldn't start right away, after I've been doing that it starts every time now for the past 2 years. :shrug:

ive had this since i bought my car brand new in 2002. i have a tune with my mods. that didnt help. i had ford look at it, they dont know. they said they checked the fuel pump/:shrug:

anyway, ill be changing out the fuel pump, the injectors and some other stuff, with a new tune over the summer. ill let you know if changing every single part of your car out cures the problem.:D

Priming the pump doesnt work for me either. I can leave it in the old postion for hours and still have trouble. I do have a spare fuel pump, but just no1 to install it. If the problem becomes worse than ill look into having it installed.

to prime the pump cycle the key 5-6 times from the off to run position letting it stay in the run position for atleast 5 seconds each time. If you just do it once it won't run the pump long enough to rebuild the presure back up.

This problem you guys are describing is common, it's the fuel pump.. leaking injectors would cause a bunch of other problems such as misfires after startup, fuel contmination in the oil and washed down rings.

Idle Air Bypass Valve

I would take a serious look at the Idle Air Bypass Valve. Pull it, then inspect it to see if you can move the piston. If you can't move it, or if it is very hard to move it, then you have probably found your problem. I have had this problem on a few occasions with my '00 GT. Thus far I have been too cheap to replace the unit, but I have gotten by just by soaking the unit in carburetor cleaner for about 1/2 hour and manually moving the piston up and down until it moves freely.

If your Idle Air Bypass Valve (also called Idle Air Control Valve, or IAC) is stuck in the closed position, it will be easy to tell because the car will not run unless you keep your foot on the accelerator. However, sometimes it can just get stuck after sitting for a while, particularly when it is dirty, and cause startup problems. Then after an attempt or two at starting the engine it will finally give and your engine will run. Just cleaning it should correct this problem, but replace it if the problem persists.

By the way, this can be caused by not changing / cleaning your air filter often enough.