Engine Hoist Point...

kendawg73

Feb 5, 2014
will be getting ready to finally get my motor back in the car in the next several weeks.. but have a ?.... My motor was completely stock, when I pulled it out... since I had the lower end rebuilt, bored .30, ect... I have installed gt40p heads.... and intake.... I have new ford racing gt40p headers I'm going to put on once it's back in car... my question is... the 2 stock brackets that are used to lift the motors out/in... 1 bolts to the back on once side and the front on the other side on the heads... 2 bolts hold each on.... now my plan is to only install them to get the motor in, then take them back off and store them... (hope to never ever use them again)... so
1. I don't plan to install the headers until the motor is in... is it ok to just bolt those brackets right to the heads this way? (may sound stupid but wanted to make sure there was no added support with the stock manifold being bolted up.
2. I still find it hard to believe 2 little exhaust manifold bolts for each bracket hold all this weight with out pulling out/breaking ect.. . or damage the threads in the head. I pulled it out with the trans, but will put it back in without and put the trans in after...

• Sponsors (?)

Your good, it they are flat to the head, using the exhaust bolts they may hit the valve covers, you can shim them out a bit, just make sure you have enough thread engagement and are pretty snug.
Post some pics, beer pics, we really don't care about the engine install. :jester:

Your good, it they are flat to the head, using the exhaust bolts they may hit the valve covers, you can shim them out a bit, just make sure you have enough thread engagement and are pretty snug.
Post some pics, beer pics, we really don't care about the engine install. :jester:

ok, will check that... I'm putting the old valve cover on (after I cover the inside with plastic so the crud don't get in motor) until i get the motor in car, so not to mark up/damage the new ones with the chain....

It's easier to bolt up the headers, and then bolt the chains from the engine hoist to the top of the lower intake where the upper bolts on. The two front and two rear holes. Installing the engine with the headers already installed is waaaay easier than trying to bolt on headers with the engine in the car.

Reactions: 1 user
It's easier to bolt up the headers, and then bolt the chains from the engine hoist to the top of the lower intake where the upper bolts on. The two front and two rear holes. Installing the engine with the headers already installed is waaaay easier than trying to bolt on headers with the engine in the car.

I would, but I was going to put tranny in after motor was in, will the headers interfere with that? also, I have the MM 4 point K-member brace - https://lmr.com/item/MM-MMKB41/1979-93-Mustang-4-Point-MM-K-Member-Brace-Coupe-Hatchback

wasn't sure if that would be in the way (going to install before I put motor in) if I tried to put motor in with tranny on it.

And, damn, those intake bolts are thin..... I'd be afraid of all that weight snapping them...

I've actually never used or had the factory hoist brackets to pull an engine lol. I've always used a bolt on the back side of a head and on the front side of a head attached to chain or a load leveler and never had a problem. A friend actually uses an old seat beat that he wraps around the engine also which seems to work well.

IMG_0397.JPG

No intake when I did mine last week, just went off the accessory holes in the heads. Headers and trans were bolted on though, went in pretty smooth. With the lower on I would do as was mentioned above and lift by the 4 corners of the intake.

I would keep your k member brace off while the motor goes in/out. Also be aware that without the trans (and it's cross member) the motor will tilt back on the mounts without support.

Reactions: 1 user