Engine Noise 2018 Gt

Hey guys and gals! I am so glad I found this thread. I bought my 2018 GT in April and at around 1k miles I noticed the same noise as the others in the thread.

I took it in to the dealership and had a tech ride with me. He heard the noise and they kept it for 2 days. Ultimately they said they found no quantifiable difference between my car and a brand new GT they grabbed off the lot.

Has anyone else heard anything further on this?

• Sponsors (?)

Yep, like zero chance and I bleed ford blue said it’s the direct injection pump and injectors. Nothing to worry about. Once you accept that the sound is normal you stop hearing it lmao. I’ve gotten used to it as part of the vehicle. Funny how it didn’t stand out at first when I bought the car, but as I got used to the “newness” all the little noises and such were very prominent. Now they’re all little more than operating noises.

My 2018 GT has been making that noise since I got it. I now have 3200 miles on it and the sound is getting louder. It's also 3 quarts low on oil. Took a day off to see the service department today. I was told burning 1 quart every 950 miles is normal and the sound is normal. Plus the tech told me I should change my oil to a high performance type? when I asked what type he said he wasn't sure. Said I should join a mustang forum to get that information. I'm now like WTF? I goto FORD for and answer and tech refers me to the internet? Guess we'll see where we go from here. Missing my 2016 GT even more now.

In the 2 videos above, I honestly can't hear anything odd. The only noise in the engine I have noticed is a the diesel effect when the RPM's are decreasing while in gear and slowing down. This is quite normal though.
If any of you are wondering what the diesel effect is, listen to this Ferrari 643 @ 1:00 when he is slowing down going around a corner while in gear. The loud popping in the higher pitched high RPM engine is extremely prevalent, and sounds wonderful. In the Mustang with that exhaust, it can sound quite low and burbbling, like a weird rattle in the background.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhui1qToW1U

The only other noise I hear on occasion is in the transmission, I hear/feel the synchros whine when shifting and the RPM differential is off by quite a bit, but that's about it. So far, no broken shift forks, but I only have 250 miles on the car.

Last edited:
My 2018 GT is not as quiet as my 2015 was. By that I mean when you are outside the car and it is idling you hear more of a tappet kind of noise coming from the engine. Almost like a noisy lifter. Anyone else with a new 2018 notice this too?
?
Is this problem with both manual and automatic GT's? If just with the manuals then is it possible that what your hearing is coming from the tranny? I just posted a thread about my tranny being noisy. Haven't received any replies yet but I do know that pinpointing sounds can be difficult.

So I have had this problem with my car for sometime as well, and I recently noticed if I jerk the steering wheel to the right while the car is making the nosie, the noise goes away. Its very odd and I definatly plan on looking into it more when time permits

Everyone needs to google “Mustang BBQ Tick” and you’ll find a lot of info.

For the 2018’s there will be some noise related to the direct injection but that’s more of a faint ticking than a metallic tapping. It seems like the Gen 2 and 3 Coyote engines have had some issues with the tick and some have resulted in engine replacement as the remedy. Seems it’s either valvetrain related or has to do with connecting rod bearing clearances being out of whack.

I purchased a mustang gt 2018 with 14k miles and my tuner told me that I should take it to Ford because it had a noise on engine between 1500/2000 rpm that was not normal, the transmission started to gridding shifting from 2 to 3 and to 4 above 5k rpm , I have replaced the clutch by one from Macleod twin disc with aluminum flywheel, same thing with new clutch after a week and some pulls it didn’t shift only from 3 to 4 gear right above 2k rpm , went to Ford and it is being fixed has I’m writing this , transmission rebuilt and new engine phasers .. all covered by warranty.
so if you guys have a 2018 gt with that Weird noise take to the Ford dealer cuz it’s the phasers. And the trans issues it’s due to aluminum forks .

Attachments

• 1D30DACC-6AEF-4B94-8B27-870BB569A93A.jpeg
    1D30DACC-6AEF-4B94-8B27-870BB569A93A.jpeg
    164.3 KB · Views: 120
  • B7CDB7B1-E093-4247-A3DE-9063A2F1B899.jpeg
    B7CDB7B1-E093-4247-A3DE-9063A2F1B899.jpeg
    384.5 KB · Views: 111
  • 73600C25-95BB-4DE7-ACFE-063A40B81782.jpeg
    73600C25-95BB-4DE7-ACFE-063A40B81782.jpeg
    483.8 KB · Views: 109
Take the car to your ford dealer again and tell them to fix it . I’ve just picked up my car from ford dealer because of the exact same noise, it’s the cams phasers they replaced them on my car and rebuilt my trans has well . Common issue on 18 mt82 mustangs Phasers and transmission. Don’t know why 19 still come with the same problem .

A guy I bought my RTR grill from a few months ago had 2 engines replaced on his 18 5.0 standard shift. They bought it back when they found the input shaft to his transmission was bent. Make Ford fix it....keep taking it back. He went through the same thing. I'm an Advanced Level L1 certified engine performance tech. This noise is a known issue at Ford and can easily be confused with DI tick...the debris from the issue clogs the camshaft phasers and lessens the oil going through them causing more wear. Not all 5.0 mustangs have this issue. Break in is especially important with these engines.

My ecoboost is going strong 30k and no unusual noises. Even drug a 5.0 up to about 85mph...faster than I'll ever go normally. I will get a 5.0 next time...after they work out the bugs.