Fox Engine Or Transmission Knock 1990 5.0

alwaysbrokenfox

Nov 19, 2014
was getting on fox, took it close to redline, shifted to 2nd did the same, push clutch in RPM's stayed up around redline, as if the throttle was stuck, but it wasnt i shut the car down, pull over restart it and its got a knock at idle AND under a load, that doesnt change after warmed up or anything of that nature. The oil is clean, oil pressure is good. I have compression in all 8 cylinders, spark plugs are all good, it sounds as if it's coming from the oil pan OR around the flywheel/tranmission area, i've never pulled a motor or tranmission and im nervous about doing that and wasting my time if it doesnt need it, has anyone ever experienced this before? Any suggestions? Pull the tranmission first, or is it even possible for the t-5 transmission to knock? Any help or ideas appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like you either A: stretched a rod bolt

or

B: beat up and damaged a lifter.

Since you say it sounds like it's coming from down low I'd say it's most likely A.

That's a no good! I'm with boosted-rod bolt is my guess. I've never heard a trans "knock". Grind,lock up,not go into gear,etc would lead me to the trans but a "knock" in the lower end/oil pan area is very likely the engine.

Because you said the RPM stayed up toward red line with the clutch in makes me think there's something wrong in the valve train. Before you start thinking about pulling your engine and trans out I would remove your upper and lower intake manifold and pull your VC's off and inspect your rocker arms, springs, pushrods and lifters.

Have you had any recent work done to your engine? New top end? Any aftermarket engine parts?

Reactions: 1 user