Engine Problem

rminer45

Sep 11, 2017
I just recently bought a 92 foxbody gt hatch. A few days ago, I was pushing her to around 6k rpm up to third gear and as i started to slow, the engi e started to make a rattling noise, my breaks started to not break as much, but with the same tension as usual in the pedal, and my battery light came on as i parked it. I got it to a parking lot asap and it shut off. I checked the oil and saw a couple metallic flakes. I started it back up after looking in the engine bay and not seeing anything out of the normal amd noticed a rattling on the passenger side of the engine. It wasnt very loud, but it definitely didnt sound good. I also noticed some oil on the block from the valve covers, so I already know i need new gaskets as well. Im just hoping the engine isnt toast. I had a buddy tell me that it is possible to fix it just by draining the oil and putting new oil in with the lucas oil fully synthetic additive, but I am definitely not getting my hopes up. I plan on doing that today after i get off work, but would like some thoughts and advice from other foxbody mustang owners on what exactly could be wrong. The oil ran im it usually is 15 40. The engine is built with a trick flow top end and a ford racing bottom end and is bored 60 over. The only thing stock about it is the block. It was just rebuilt with all these parts less than two years ago so Im pretty upset that I am already having thses issues. Plenty of other upgrades as well, but they dont come into play so much. Any help amd advice would be very much appreciated

Attachments

• 00y0y_81pS3Lydnzj_600x450.jpg
    00y0y_81pS3Lydnzj_600x450.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 92
  • Sponsors (?)

The noise could any number of things, collapsed lifter, bent pushrod, broken rocker arm, all of those are a cheap and easy to repair. If it's coming from the bottom end, you might be better off looking for a rebuilt short block and reuse your top end.

BTW never trust an engine that has been modified by the previous owner, you never know what his skill level is or what corners he cut.

Reactions: 1 user