SN95 Engine rebuild kit for a stock 95 GT?

Mythrillium

Apr 4, 2018
I'll admit, I'm new to engine work and am looking to rebuild my engine before any serious modifications. My question is: What kit should I get if I want to do a full rebuild on it? I was looking on Summit and all those numbers mean nothing to me and was wondering if someone here could fill me in.

• Sponsors (?)

As far as I know, it shouldn't need any sort of machine work, but it also doesn't help that I don't have a second car to drive if I were to take it apart
If it’s your driver-maybe consider a junkyard explorer 5.0 for a rebuild. Then you can take all the time you need to go through it ,and would have the better heads etc

Reactions: 1 user
How many miles on the engine, why do you think it needs rebuilding? If you don't have alternate transportation then a rebuild is out of the question if you only have the weekend, a good used engine swap could easily be done in a weekend( and the knowledge pool necessary would be much less for a swap).

An engine rebuild is not something that you typically do over a day or two. As you are taking the block apart you need to exam the cylinder walls, piston skirts, rod and main journals on the crank. Most times this will involve some precision measuring tools.
Now, this is completely doable in your home garage, if you have th knowledge and tools to do it. Like stated above, most times some type of machine work will be needed during the rebuild.

It could be any of the following and maybe more:
- crank journals turned
-cylinders bored and/or honed
-mains align honed or bored
-deck resurfaced
-new cam bearings and freeze plugs installed
-heads decked
-valve job, valve guides
-springs checked

The list gets plenty long. I have built a couple of engines at home and I always end up at the machine shop for the things that require high dollar machinery. If you really want to do it at home, spend the next few months studying up on the how-to's. You will then understand what to look for and what to expect with the budget and machine shop.

Now, there are some who do the down and dirty re-ring, hone and bearings and have good success, but you need to know if you fall in that category when you take it apart.

Joe

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
How many miles on the engine, why do you think it needs rebuilding? If you don't have alternate transportation then a rebuild is out of the question if you only have the weekend, a good used engine swap could easily be done in a weekend( and the knowledge pool necessary would be much less for a swap).

Well for one the car is 23 years old and as far as I know (3rd owner), no engine work has been done to it other than a tune up when I got it. But it's been leaking/burning oil for the past month and I figured it'd be something along the lines of a valve cover gasket, so I said screw it and decided to save and rebuild it.

An engine rebuild is not something that you typically do over a day or two. As you are taking the block apart you need to exam the cylinder walls, piston skirts, rod and main journals on the crank. Most times this will involve some precision measuring tools.
Now, this is completely doable in your home garage, if you have th knowledge and tools to do it. Like stated above, most times some type of machine work will be needed during the rebuild.

It could be any of the following and maybe more:
- crank journals turned
-cylinders bored and/or honed
-mains align honed or bored
-deck resurfaced
-new cam bearings and freeze plugs installed
-heads decked
-valve job, valve guides
-springs checked

The list gets plenty long. I have built a couple of engines at home and I always end up at the machine shop for the things that require high dollar machinery. If you really want to do it at home, spend the next few months studying up on the how-to's. You will then understand what to look for and what to expect with the budget and machine shop.

Now, there are some who do the down and dirty re-ring, hone and bearings and have good success, but you need to know if you fall in that category when you take it apart.

Joe

Alright, I'll keep my eye out for a good engine to swap in. Will probably look around my local salvage yard for either 302 out of an Explorer or a 351 out of an F150

Ok, I'm going to put my 'original equipment ' hat on here, after some years 'restoring first gen stangs' and trying to find original stuff that some just toss out I recommend anything original, that does include the engine because part of the vin number is stamped into the block, ever heard of 'numbers matching' car? The trans also has numbers too. Air pump for emissions and the related hoses and solenoid s and check valves, if you can rebuild the original engine do it, or at least save it if you can along with other stuff mentioned, these cars are getting to the age where original stuff will be hard to find.
Think about it, 94-5 models are unique, ford was transitioning into the mod engine era. Wish I had saved some stuff from my 89 gt now.

An oil leak does not mandate an engine rebuild.

What nobody has verified here is how many miles are on this car? Forget the fact that the car is over 20 years old...How many miles are on the engine?

The days of an engine needing a rebuild at 100k miles ended in the late 80's when Ford started adding durability to their engine blocks by increasing the ductile content into their castings.
It's not uncommon to find engines that go 200k miles nowadays because of it.
Since you know nothing about rebuilding an engine, I'm gonna say that you that you are not familiar with the processes to determine engine health.
Compression test.
Cylinder leak down test.
Until you do either of these, seeking a rebuild kit ( that you know nothing about) is tantamount to just throwing your money away.

If, On the other hand you just want to throw your money away...send it to:
Michael Matkosky
1605 Heritage Place
Irondale, Al. 35210.

Thank you in advance. The Monster thanks you in advance too.

Last edited:
  • Happy
Reactions: 1 user