Engine Stalls when shift to Neutral

misterm4rk

Aug 4, 2003
CALIFORNIA
This happend twice...last week i was on 6th and there was a sharp turn so i shift to neutral before i down shift. But as soon as i start turning, i noticed it was hard to turn cuz the engine stalled and it had "service engine" lights come up for about a second. The other one happened today, i turn my car on and leave the parking space...i was on second gear and i shift to neutral in order to stop and look at both sides before i turn...and i was in the middle of the turn and notice the engine stalled again. Do you know what i am doing wrong? Have any of you experienced this? What could be wrong with the engine. Any opinions or information would be great. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Im not sure I understand what you mean by "shift into neutral" because you dont really shift into it, you down shift to a lower gear. If your car is stalling while sitting still in neutral, than that is one thing but if it stalls while your actually moving, thats another problem. Do you have any mods done? Make sure you dont have a cloged fuel filter or even air filter. Check to make sure your car is properly shifting into and out of gear, make sure the clutch engages and disengages properly.

Sound like you have the stall. I had it as well. Ford did release a fix, a reflash, but I had my dyno-tuner solve my stall. He simply compared the codes (at idle I think) from my car (YDH1) to the new flash program and found one change. I think it had to do with the idle air bypass solenoid. Anyway, he changed it and no more stall. Definitely a frustrating and potentially dangerous problem.

misterm4rk said:
Does it come with the warranty to reflash it? Or will i be spending a couple of bucks when i go to ford. Thanks for the input by the way.. damn what would i do without the internet.. lol .

There is an official Ford SSM concerning the stall reflash and it shouldn't cost you anything to have the work done. Ask you local service department to perform SSM-17542 on your car.

U.M.

well i took your guys advice and took it to ford early this morning. and it didnt take that long nor did i have to spend any cash. but they sure looked at me like i was crazy or something just come and "reflash" the computer. lol