engine stumbles first at low rpms and now at high rpms

importstomper

Aug 5, 2004
Just the other day I was carefully cleaing my engine bay with a spray bottle and a rag (not sure if this is what caused the problem but felt like I would add it just in case) and about 2 hours later I went to go for a drive and every time I pushed the throttle down to accellerate when the rpms were below 1500-2000 it would buck and sputter like crazy especially when in 5th gear due to the increased load. Once I got back home I pulled all the cops out to make sure I didn't get some water down around the plugs , none were wet, then I tested to make sure all of them were firing and they are. then I went about making sure the injectors were all working and they were. Well I went to bed very angry that night wondering what the hell could have happened. and the next morning when I got in it to go to work and it ran fine so I think whatever must have gotten wet fixed itself, but not the case instead the problem has seemed to moved up the rpms range, now it doesn't buck at low rpms but if you drop from 5th to 4th and stomp it to pass you can feel a slight misfire almost like insufficient fuel pressure. Have any of you all had this problem before, my car ran perfectly before this happed 2 days ago and not it just pisses me off. it also started dropping rpms bad when coming to a stop, sometimes down to about 200-300 rpms. like the iac is screwed. RIght now I am just looking to figure out what is going on with the stumbling at high rpms , have any of you experienced this before.

• Sponsors (?)

When is the last time you changed the plugs? Wires? Also, if you have the waste spark system (2 coil packs), check the bottom of the coils for cracks. That has been know to cause misfires as well.

Mine has the COPS (coils on plugs) so therefore it is not wasted spark. And the plugs are not more than a few months old, also do you really think if it were the plugs causingthe problem it would be moving up in the rpm range like this, it is just confusing to me why it is jumping from missing under 2000 rpms to now missing in the upper range like it is starving for fuel. just a couple questions, worried it might be fuel pump or a sensor?

importstomper said:
Mine has the COPS (coils on plugs) so therefore it is not wasted spark.

Well, you didn't post any info on your car at all, so I had to start somewhere... ;)

importstomper said:
And the plugs are not more than a few months old, also do you really think if it were the plugs causingthe problem it would be moving up in the rpm range like this, it is just confusing to me why it is jumping from missing under 2000 rpms to now missing in the upper range like it is starving for fuel. just a couple questions, worried it might be fuel pump or a sensor?

Are the plug wires stock? How old are they? Are the plugs the same heat range? One coil could also be on the way out. You could check the resistance and see if one is different from the other 7. It's not likely running out of fuel unless your fuel filter is seriously plugged, or the fuel pump is on the way out. I would lean toward the ignition system though.