Engine Engine swap npi to pi

wuaname

Nov 21, 2017
Hello all,

So we blew the engine on the '98 stock GT. Time for an engine swap. I want to keep it simple but I want to go to a new engine vs putting back in just a rebuilt npi motor. I've read I need a new oil pan, front engine cover (timing chain cover I'm guessing), my old valve covers, and coolant sensor (?). Is that all I need, or is there something to do with the wiring harness?

What years can I use for the pi engine on the swap?

Any other insight feel free to chime in. A shop is doing the swap, not a Mustang specialty shop, so I want to make it as simple as possible so there are no issues for them.

How much more difficult would it be to go to a 4 valve swap?

I saw this thread below, but it dates back to the year 2008, so not sure how much still applies.

older swap thread

• Sponsors (?)

The swap only works IF the new motor looks like the old motor electrically. From the PCM's point of view the new motor should "appear" the same. Sooooooo that means to swap:
  • The ignition system
  • the motor wiring harness
  • The fuel induction system including fuel injectors.
Put both motors on an engine stand and make the new motor look like the old. Take pictures.

Regarding which PI motor to use. Consider using a motor from a 2003+ Model year as this includes the updated heads with more spark plug threads.

An option is to use a motor from a 2002+ Model year Grand Marquis, Town Car, or Crown Vic. The long block is the same. Try searching car-part.com to see salvage yards in your area for sample prices.

Wm thanks for the reply. That give me some more areas to search. I wat a known local mechanic to do the swap, who is not a hot rod type mechanic, so i need to make the swap as simple as possible for him but i want a newer engin thana 1998.

I’m going to order the motor online, either rebuilt or used but less than 60k miles, so I cant just put them side by side. I haven’t even pulled the old motor yet.

Regarding the 4v swap exactly as he mentioned use all your old wiring and sensors. It will even run on the stock ecu tune however it will be leanish. You will need a tune we did this on my friends gt. If your performance minded and you have a 4v at the u-pull do it. Money will not buy anything better.... but there will be hicups along the way. Good luck!!!