Engine Swap

Dylan Woody

Oct 25, 2012
Just bought a 302 for dirt cheap and I was considering swapping it into my '00 V6 stang. Need to know how extensive of a job that is..not looking to put more than a few grand into it. Any insight?

• Sponsors (?)

If you go EFI, you'll need all the wiring and upper intake components from a Mustang. Bronco stuff won't work. You'll then need to track down the front accessory setup from a Mustang as well. If going carbed, a little easier but you'll need to change out the fuel pump to a low pressure pump unit.

You didn't mention tranmission that you have, but the auto won't bolt up to the 302. If you have a 5-spd, if can be made to work but you'll need a bellhousing and possibleinput shafe swap. You should upgrade the rear end to an 8.8 as well.

You'll need exhaust.

You limited yourself to a few grand and dont have a complete parts car to use, and i can see all the nickel and dime stuff like engine mounts, bolts, accessory brackets, etc eating that budget up very quickly. $50 here, $100 there, stuff like that.

You can't limit yourself to a few grand in total. Best way to do anything car related is just budget the bejeezus outta it. I put away about 300 dollars a paycheck for my car, and that includes gas, 'well, :poo:' money, and parts. It is easiest if you have a steady job. Have you ever done an engine swap before?