Engine Temp

SteveG94GT

Aug 23, 2016
Hey guys, new to Mustangs and the forum. Bought '94 GT convertible last Dec. The temp gauge reads abnormally low, even registers almost "cold" after any length of running. One, curious if this a sign of something bad. Two, any serious damage or performance problems? Three, is there a more reputable/dependable set up for gauge and sending unit than factory set up? if there is any more information I should include to better help with troubleshooting, let me know. Thanks for any help that anybody can offer.

• Sponsors (?)

Hey Ragged,
Yeah, it does heat up nice, maybe a little too much. At a light, the heat just rolls in the windows and take hours to cool down. I am guessing gauge or coolant sensor. I put a new thermostat in it about a month ago, 195 high flow. It has always shown "cold" even before changing it out. Gauge does periodically fluctuate between bottom cold and where it usually sits, about first quarter of range of gauge. I figured Ford would calibrate gauge to sit dead center, like the other ones do, just to give a good reading of normal operation? Thanks for the info Ragged.

I'd change out the temp sensor. Those lights pretty much are idiot lights designed to sit dead center unless something is way off

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Thanks Mike,
I bought an infra red temp sensor last night and shot 200 on the top radiator hose. So, I think it is running ok, just want to make sure I am reading that inside. Was thinking of doing the sensor and sending unit. Thanks for the info!