Engine too tall

Boydster

Apr 10, 2011
Glen Burnie, MD
Been working on a rebuild of my '87 5.0 (306) GT. Among lots of other work, I replaced the engine mounts with Prothane and I kept the old Edelbrock 3/8's intake spacer installed.

Yesterday, finally installed the upper intake. Put some clay and wax paper on the upper intake and very carefully latched the hood because I could see that the engine sat higher due to the Prothane mounts.

Clearance is close from the upper intake to one of the hood braces at about 3/8", but I failed to notice that the CCV fitting on the TB sits higher than the intake. Oops... put a nice little ding in an otherwise very straight 24 yr old factory hood from the inside.

Just dont forget that fitting on the TB if you're running Prothane's with an intake spacer...

• Sponsors (?)

I've got a healthy bump in my hood from leaving a socket sitting on top of the intake manifold. Couldn't find that socket for a week, then the next time I opened the hood, there it was. Didn't budge.

I would put the energy suspension motor mounts in, they are closer to convertible mounts and sits the engine at a normal height. What were the prothane engineers thinking when they made those mounts. I guess maybe if you have big long tube headers and large cowl hoods for drag racing, sitting the engine higher helps weight transfer to the rear wheels.

I dont know what they were thinking either. Since the hood wouldn't even hit the 2nd latch, I yanked the upper intake, took out the 3/8 spacer and tried again. Still hits, but I can latch the hood. I pulled the CCV elbow fitting out of the TB and plugged it with a 1/8 NPT plug. I'll drill and tap a hole thru the side of the TB, like where the N2O spray nozzle goes, to screw in a barb fitting.

Checked the top of the intake, TPS and Cool Flex radiator hose... everything else is clear. Maybe this thing will actually run tomorrow. :D

Not into changing mounts again unless nothing else will work, and it looks like this will work.