Engine/Trans Combo?

Hey guys I was wondering what everyones thoughts were on this subject, I currently have a 67 mustang fastback with a 302 and C4. I want to take that out and covert it to a Manual and a motor with a little bit more of a punch. I think I've pretty much decided to go with the TKO, but engine wise, I totally can't decide, I budget isn't giant so remeber that. I've been looking at 351w engines or maybe even some stroker motors. I'd love a big block motor but I think there would just be to much fab work. (I had another post about a 429). So what do you guys think for a motor?

• Sponsors (?)

why not just keep the 302? I did so people wouldnt confuse it with a mach....its a true fastback with a 302 in it.....just mod the hell out of it when you get the time....well that's what im gonna do, only cause my buddy showed me that it can be done.....well thats my opinion :rolleyes:

if you want a big block, go for it. crites restoration should have the engine mounts you need. you can pull a 460 and C6 from a mid 70's lincoln, full size merc or ford for fairly cheap money cause people are not looking for those motors much any more. the swap is fairly easy, and you engine bay has plenty of room for the 460 engine.

The 302 can get to 400fwhp without seriously degrading reliability/driveability. Stroke it to 331 with very little degradation, or to 347 (for big power) with much more significant degradation on durability.

You can put an average 351W in there and hit 400fwhp without even trying. 500fwhp is relatively easy without power adders (forced induction or NOS). You can stroke the 351W all the way to 427 for serious output, with aluminum upper-end the 427W will weigh about the same as the C-Code 289.

Nothing wrong with a Big Block, either the old FEs (360-390-406-427-428) or the newer 385/Lima series (429-460). But weight and room issues will need to be dealt with. Stroke one of those bad boys out to well over 500 cubes!

You can tell what I'd recommend by looking at my sig.

I would recommend either a 331, 351W, 351C, or 390FE. It may be tight, but '67s were available with the 390GT engine afterall(and Edelbrock makes heads for them). The 302 stroker and 351W would probably be more readily accessible, though.

I already have an aluminum headed roller 302, but the next engine I build will probably be a 351C or 390FE, either one with aluminum heads. If I stumble on $15,000 lying on the ground, I may just go for an all-aluminum 427FE. Bare block is 125lbs.....