Engine Trouble Light On After Fuel Gauge Failure

This morning 3100 miles into my new GT the fuel gauge went to empty (1/2 tank of gas) and the diagnostic indicator stated DTE Error. Great. After a shutdown of the engine and restart the gauge went back to correct indication with no errors on the panel. After work on the way home the gauge went back to empty with the same error. The "Return to Mothership" light came on and about ten minutes later the gauge started working again, but the engine light is still on. Stopped by the local Autozone to have them read the codes....their OBDII scanner connected, but could not read the codes. Back to Ford we go.

Has anyone else had this type of error?

Thanks,
TicketMeRed

• Sponsors (?)

TicketMeRed05GT said:
This morning 3100 miles into my new GT the fuel gauge went to empty (1/2 tank of gas) and the diagnostic indicator stated DTE Error. Great. After a shutdown of the engine and restart the gauge went back to correct indication with no errors on the panel. After work on the way home the gauge went back to empty with the same error. The "Return to Mothership" light came on and about ten minutes later the gauge started working again, but the engine light is still on. Stopped by the local Autozone to have them read the codes....their OBDII scanner connected, but could not read the codes. Back to Ford we go.

Has anyone else had this type of error?

Thanks,
TicketMeRed

A similar thing happened to me. I had just finished putting $30.00 in the tank, cranked it up and left. I got a little ways down the road and noticed the gauge was only a 1/4. I was just below a 1/4 to begin with. So I stopped in a parking lot and turned it off, scratched my head, cranked it back up, and watched the gauge go all the way to full.

I have nearly 10,000 miles on mine, and this is the first time something like this has happened. I'm curious to see if anyone else has experienced this.

Ford's been having trouble with the fuel guages recently. My dad is a service manager down at a local Ford dealership and said it may be due to a wire harness malfunction. I dont think they've pin pointed an exact reason or way to fix it yet but have been working with Ford and the wire harness manufacturer for a few weeks now.

Most of the people that I've talked to say they just make sure the tank is full whenever they can and'll take it in to get fixed when they figure out how to fix it. They dont want to leave their stangs in the shop for weeks. :notnice:

I'm having the same problem

I'm having the same problem, I'm geting on the diagnostic indicator the following message "DTE FLI DATA ERR". The dealer called Ford an Ford suggested to change one of the harnesses, they ordered the harness last week and I'm still waiting for it.
One thing that I notice is that the error will only pop up if you fill up the gas tank and it will stop when its below the 3/4 mark, also when the gauge gets to 1/4 it will display that you only have enough gas for 50 miles….