Engineering Electronic 2spd Fan Control Need Your Input

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerthemost

Sep 9, 2012
I am engineering a new electronic 2 speed electric radiator fan controller and would appreciate some feedback and input from you guys. A while back I posted about an electronic systems monitor I am also working on and it is almost ready for beta testing. Now I am working on the fan controller. I could not find one on the market like I wanted so decided to engineer a new design and see if I could sell a few.
Right now it will control 2 fan speeds and has a couple of options. The options are the ability to alarm the engine temp and have an off delay to help keep down residual temp rise after the car is turned off.
Right now I have it programmed to run the low speed fan for 10 minutes if the engine rises above 185 after the car is turned off. If the car is running it cycles the low and high speeds to maintain around 185 degs. I can make the set-point adjustable to some extent.
Turn on low speed if A/C is turned on. Also thinking of adding an airflow sensor to turn off fans if car is moving enough to take care of A/C.
So my questions at the moment are what do you think about my general plan? And what about the ability to cool down the engine after turn off? And do you have any suggestions? Your input would be greatly appreciated. Could really use ideas concerning installation etc.
Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like you're reinventing the turbo-timer.

Here's another link for ya to browse:
Sorry but not even close. Turbo timer keeps the car running then you still have to deal with residual heat buildup once the car is shut down. The same thing can be accomplished with a $25 delay off timer. I did it on a 81 280ZX turbo i once owned. And does not control any fans or alarm any high temp. Not even in the same ballpark but thanks anyway.

There are also turbo timers that run electric water pumps and cooling fans until cooling system reaches predetermined temps. More flavors than there are of ice-cream. :O_o:

What's more, there's not much point if having a fan running to cool radiator coolant if that coolant isn't being circulated.

There are also turbo timers that run electric water pumps and cooling fans until cooling system reaches predetermined temps. More flavors than there are of ice-cream. :O_o:

What's more, there's not much point if having a fan running to cool radiator coolant if that coolant isn't being circulated.
Oh but there is a very good reason to keep the fans going even without water moving. If I turn off my car and do nothing the temp will go up as much as 20 dges or even more from maybe 190 to 210 or more. If I open the hood a few inches the temp will stay down at least 10 degs lower and drop much faster than with hood closed. I have aluminum heads and don't like to see my temps get high. So it only makes sense that getting some air moving under the hood helps. I have electric fans and have proven it beyond a doubt. Today we have alcohol in the gas which boils at a much lower temp than gas so if the temp under hood gets high enough the gas boils out of the carb bowl which can lead to start problems.

Do you work for turbo timer? Just curious.

All helpful suggestions and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Oh but there is a very good reason to keep the fans going even without water moving. If I turn off my car and do nothing the temp will go up as much as 20 dges or even more from maybe 190 to 210 or more. If I open the hood a few inches the temp will stay down at least 10 degs lower and drop much faster than with hood closed. I have aluminum heads and don't like to see my temps get high. So it only makes sense that getting some air moving under the hood helps. I have electric fans and have proven it beyond a doubt. Today we have alcohol in the gas which boils at a much lower temp than gas so if the temp under hood gets high enough the gas boils out of the carb bowl which can lead to start problems.

Do you work for turbo timer? Just curious.

All helpful suggestions and comments would be greatly appreciated.

No... actually I work for this forum. Don't ask for suggestions if all you really want are a bunch of folks to chime and tell you what a genius you are. DEFINITELY don't come in and cop and attitude when someone suggests that items similar to what you're suggesting might already be on the market.

If you're only interested in ego stroking feed-back then you should specify that from the start.

One other thing I should probably mention. This is not a technical thread and should have been posted in the Talk section.

Good luck with your project.

Status
Not open for further replies.