Build Thread Enola- Finishing touches

20200912_183019.jpg

Finally done, I could not leave it that lightly colored. Some tinted clear worked nicely to darken it up.

• Winner
Reactions: 7 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Ok so I have a multitude of packages on the way to the house... I have 2 CX racing turbos with flanges, a 2.5" exhaust tubing kit [using for coldside].. 10' of 6 and 10an oil line and associated fittings. CX racing scavenger pump and I am sure I missed some needed items in that list.

The plan is to drain the oilpan and use a weld in 10an fitting, the scavenger pump will pull the oil off the turbos and feed back into the pan. a single 6an line will come off the oil pressure sender and to the turbos where I will switch over to 4an before the turbos.

No intercooler needed on this type of setup as the charged air will be cooled by the long run of piping.

because its me... I plan on using a map sensor to monitor crankcase pressure and I will use a 15psi sensor to monitor oil pressure between the pump and the turbos.. dont want to blow any seals.

I do need to find a check valve for the oil feed line so the turbos dont fill with oil.

Reactions: 7 users
So I have to decide what fuel pump and hanger I want to use, the 255 and stock lines are not going to cut it for a 393 with boost. I am tempted to do a flex fuel setup as a few places around me sell E85 at the pump.
I would like the pump to fit into the stock tank if possible and the pump and hanger needs to stay within a $300 budget [I can be flexible]

I cant wait for tomorrow, pops is coming over at 8am and we are going to begin the installation of the turbos... We have a few dozen ideas of where and how to mount them but until both of us are under the car looking and measuring I wont know for sure. We may do something REALLY STUPID like install the turbos coyote style where you turn a 180* off the longtubes and pipe forward, mount the turbos low in the fenders in front of the tires, or some such.

I will keep you all in suspense, will I do this the dumb way and mount them under the car? the dumber way and put them in the rear bumper? or the dumber-er way and pipe forward?

Stay tuned
1601052792873.png

• Haha
  • Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 4 users
Well today was eventful and frustrating but I did get the turbos mounted and part of the hot side in. This took quite a bit of time as we looked at many mounting options and finally settled on a location. Unfortunately pops has been having pain issues so he took off after lunch so most of the mounting had to be done by myself.

I am just now getting the hot side tacked into place, I dont want to get too far ahead because I will have to route the cold side as well. I am being cautious and going slow.

The turbos ended up in the rear bumper, I did not want to mount them in this location but after mockup they fit great although the exhaust will have to do an odd side bumper exit.
20200926_144930.jpg
20200926_144935.jpg
both exhaust will exit in the same location on either side, the wastegate looks lower than it is in this pictureit's actually fairly close to even with the bumper.

20200926_144943.jpg

You can see in this picture how close it is to the bumper cover, luckily they wont get that hot but I am going to blanket them both anyway for good measure. The cold side here will pipe above the fuel tank, there is actually plenty of room to fit a 2.5" pipe above the tank lip. The cold side will then hug the body of the car and slide past the hot side. The turbo exit is only 2" so I have leeway to oval the pipe if needed.

20200926_145347.jpg
a look at the passenger side, both turbos will have enough room to breath from this space, they will get decent filters and I plan on making some coffee can splash covers.
Notice how low the oil drain hangs.. I ordered a tight 90* fitting that will save me .75" and i will clock the center so its tilted at a 30* angle to give more clearance, good forbid It snags a speed bump or some :poo:.
I will mount the suction pump between the turbos in the bumper area so even tilted I wont worry at all, its rated to be mounted above the turbos.
20200926_123316.jpg

This side has the filler neck, I am going to take a 180* bend and cut it to make a s pipe to offset down away from the neck for the hot side. The cold side will have to be figured out maybe I can find a rubber offset coupler.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Looks to me like it’s not only viably safer, but for the sake of space, a fuel cell is in order. You are placing two glowing hot chunks of cast iron within inches of the gas tank. Not only that, but the confined space that won’t allow heat to escape will heat soak the surrounding areas. I have a problem putting a muffler that close, but a turbo adds a whole nother level of kelvin.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Mounting the turbos, we removed the factory exhaust hanger and reused the bolt to hold the brackets on both sides. The mounts are simple sheetmetal that will need to be painted when I remove the turbos for final install, i still have to put the oil feed lines in and i am not going to bother trying to do that with them installed. The turbos are mounted rigidly
20200926_181107.jpg
20200926_181104.jpg
20200926_181152.jpg
20200926_181143.jpg

Drivers side tacked in.
20200926_170054.jpg

Reactions: 4 users