equal length or regualr shorty headers?

• Sponsors (?)

Equal lengths are a huge pain in the ass to install/uninstall; I'll never do that again.

I have the BBK unequal's currently and they fit perfect and install easy. I doubt you would notice much of a power difference, although the equal lengths do look cool.

I have the BBK equal lengths and I like them. They were on the car when I bought it but I haven't had any problems with fitment or anything.

I have had the exact opposite experience with mine. I've tried 2 different types of engine mounts, a modified set of engine mounts, adjusting the steering shaft, etc etc. I rub the steering shaft and tap the K member on the other side when the engine twists. Equal length is just not worth it, IMO. If you want to sacrifice clearance and convenience for extra performance, just go long tubes. Otherwise, unequal shorty headers are just fine.

I have had the exact opposite experience with mine. I've tried 2 different types of engine mounts, a modified set of engine mounts, adjusting the steering shaft, etc etc. I rub the steering shaft and tap the K member on the other side when the engine twists. Equal length is just not worth it, IMO. If you want to sacrifice clearance and convenience for extra performance, just go long tubes. Otherwise, unequal shorty headers are just fine.

Seems like I read a comparison on shorty headers some years back and even the best equal length barely gained 10hp over stock headers, and the long tubes did twice what the equal lentgh shorties did... that sound about right?

EDIT: if you really want 'em to work well turn them backwards and blow thru a turbo with them...:D

Reactions: 2 users
According to this test, the difference between equal vs. unequal is about 4 horsepower. Certainly not worth the hassles of installation and spark plug interference in my book.

Hmm, interesting test. That engine is starting to run out of air by 5500 RPM, and I'm not sure the headers are to blame. I'd like to see the same test done, but on an engine with a more capable top end.