Ethanol-free Gas

• Sponsors (?)

GOOD LUCK finding alcohol free gasoline, at least in this state. I think there is an energy policy that encourages the blending of ethanol into all gas. Besides, alcohol is cheaper per gallon, so most places want to mix it in and sell it.

I like to run ethanol for the octane boost without paying extra. But I think straight gas keeps better over the winter than ethanol mix, even with Stabil. That is probably why they came out with a new formula or two of preservative.

We have stores popping up everywhere around here in Florida that is selling it. Heck, we just bought a John Deere riding mower and that is the only thing they recommend. They said pay a little more for gas or pay a lot to replace your carbs or other parts. Florida does have a lot of humidity, maybe that has a lot to do with it. They just put in new pumps at the local Circle K just down the road. Ethanol-free gas, use to have to drive about 4 miles away to get it. Also, all the local marina's have it. It's what they recommend for the boat motors.

If you can get your hands on it, run it. You will get better fuel mileage on it and it will be less wear and tear on the fuel system.

The only reason it costs more is because they now cater to a smaller market. so they can charge more. It actually costs more during the refinery process to add the extra steps to make and blend in ethanol.

Sunoco sells it around me. It's pricey but I run it in all my small outdoor equipment including my ATV's.

It is 90 octane , If I had a 4eye carb'd Mustang I believe that's all I'd run.

Last edited:
There are two gas stations that I pass every day that have it I've put it in my 89 efi and my car seems to like it so I would imagine a carbonated older mustang would as well but man do you pay for it

We have stores popping up everywhere around here in Florida that is selling it. Heck, we just bought a John Deere riding mower and that is the only thing they recommend. They said pay a little more for gas or pay a lot to replace your carbs or other parts. Florida does have a lot of humidity, maybe that has a lot to do with it. They just put in new pumps at the local Circle K just down the road. Ethanol-free gas, use to have to drive about 4 miles away to get it. Also, all the local marina's have it. It's what they recommend for the boat motors.

I think that we will perhaps begin to see a decline in ethanol gas over the next few years.

There have been small stories here and there that indicate that it costs more to make, keep, and store. Transport costs more per BTU than straight gas. It doesn't always like to play well with other seasonal fuel additives. It's hell on not just metals but seals and rubber that are specifically oil and gas resistant. They're not seeing the emissions results that were so touted when it began, and it's harder to catalyze than straight fuel. :shrug:

A little more recent article (within the last couple of weeks) led me to believe (although it didn't come right out and say it) that manufacturing costs rise a bit when larger quantities are made. I don't know if that is because of by-products, storage, facility capacity, or what it is. The article was actually about something that was NOT ethanol fuel.

I'm waiting for the next big thing to be jammed down our throats. :hide:

Running ethanol in a marine engine is a headache. Double the normal carburetor maintenance, and will gum up the fuel lines too. Let it sit too long and it turns to goo. Only place to get ethanol free gas is at the marina usually 4-5 bucks a gallon. Luckily there are a lot of marinas here in little rhody.

I think that we will perhaps begin to see a decline in ethanol gas over the next few years.

There have been small stories here and there that indicate that it costs more to make, keep, and store. Transport costs more per BTU than straight gas. It doesn't always like to play well with other seasonal fuel additives. It's hell on not just metals but seals and rubber that are specifically oil and gas resistant. They're not seeing the emissions results that were so touted when it began, and it's harder to catalyze than straight fuel. :shrug:

A little more recent article (within the last couple of weeks) led me to believe (although it didn't come right out and say it) that manufacturing costs rise a bit when larger quantities are made. I don't know if that is because of by-products, storage, facility capacity, or what it is. The article was actually about something that was NOT ethanol fuel.

I'm waiting for the next big thing to be jammed down our throats. :hide:
I have a bad feeling the opposite is going to happen, I have read several articles that were saying the Government is going to Mandate 15% even though the Auto Manufacturers are against it citing that it will damage older vehicles.