Ethanol Fuel Blends for SBF

Has anyone here run ethanol fuel blends of e15-e30 for long periods of time, If so what were some of your experiences? I know an older gentleman running E30 blend(or less) on his stock 90 BMW 3 series with no issues. and was wondering if some of you guys had any success with this blend on a stock Fox?

• Sponsors (?)

Newer than 1996 can handle E20 with no issues. If it is a Flex Fuel car, then the sky is the limit. After that it "depends". The problem with older vehicles is the fuel system components were not designed to tolerate Ethanol. Also, who is doing the blending? What is the purity of the Ethanol that is being used to blend? I blend my own stuff and have no issues with 20-25% Ethanol so far, other than a reduction in gas mileage, but you do get an improvement in performance, especially if your vehicle utilizes a knock sensor.
Stock Fox I would be leery of using more than E15-20. If you address the fuel system components and can tune for it, then no worries.

Reactions: 1 user
Newer than 1996 can handle E20 with no issues. If it is a Flex Fuel car, then the sky is the limit. After that it "depends". The problem with older vehicles is the fuel system components were not designed to tolerate Ethanol. Also, who is doing the blending? What is the purity of the Ethanol that is being used to blend? I blend my own stuff and have no issues with 20-25% Ethanol so far, other than a reduction in gas mileage, but you do get an improvement in performance, especially if your vehicle utilizes a knock sensor.
Stock Fox I would be leery of using more than E15-20. If you address the fuel system components and can tune for it, then no worries.
I would be worried about the stock EEC IV and the narrow band O2 sensor being able to compensate. E-10 is not a problem.
On newer vehicles, UNL just completed a study where they not only ran fine with no wear difference, but the oil was kept cleaner.
I would use Stabil 360 in any tank of high ethanol fuel not being regularly used.
I already use Stabil if there is a chance of a car being parked for a while.

Metal and ethanol is not a good mix at all. It even rusts the fuel rails out from the inside. The engine itself could handle it. I only run ethanol free fuel in my fox and the lawn equipment. Spent 54 bucks on just the lawnmower fuel last weekend...10 gallons.

Reactions: 1 user
Its not a good idea like stated about the narrowband 02 sensors as it takes a bit more fuel to handle the task and not run lean.....

If you had a way to get into the ECU you can change the fuel to compensate for what you are running.....As you can see as the number in ethanol content goes up the lambda/afr goes down meaning it utilizes more fuel..

In the selection pulldown theres also selections for CNG C16 LP and methanol fuels too....

Screenshot 2022-07-02 232353.jpg
IMG_20220702_232324.jpg

Last edited:
Metal and ethanol is not a good mix at all. It even rusts the fuel rails out from the inside. The engine itself could handle it. I only run ethanol free fuel in my fox and the lawn equipment. Spent 54 bucks on just the lawnmower fuel last weekend...10 gallons.
Alcohol does not cause rust. The water it absorbs does. Then it’s a bad combo to leave in the system for long. Using alcohol fuel (methanol or ethanol) fuel rather than let it sit in a vented tank is key. I try to use the pure stuff when longer term parking is a possibility and Stabil if even short term storage is likely. Time flys and plans change. Stainless or cupronickel line upgrades are what I plan on when moonshine is our main non electric option.

And you are correct about not using alcohol fuel in small engines. Even Honda is too cheap to put alcohol compatible carb parts and fuel lines in their kits, and has released TSBs about it.