evaporator replacement

• Sponsors (?)

The heater core can be removed without cutting, the evaporator takes some work. I've done that job a few times, and getting the AC box out alone is PITA. First of all, you don't have to remove the whole dash to get it out like the manual says. There are two bolts that hold it to the top on brackets, and one screw that holds it to the firewall on the bottom. You have to drop the steering wheel column, and remove all the bolts that hold the dash on. I can't remember if there are 6 or 8. With the center console removed, and the passenger seat out, you should be able to get enough leverage on the passenger side of the dash to slip the HVAC box out the bottom. The heater core sits horizontal on top. Go ahead and remove that, this is also a good time to change it since they aren't that expensive. The evaporator core sits vertical just below the heater core. There is a large seem that holds the HVAC box together right beside the evap core. Cut along this seem. With the heater core out, you should be able to see where the evap core is. The best tool to use to cut the box apart is a cut off wheel on a dremel. Then you should be able to cut around the evap core. I have found that the best stuff to put the HVAC box back together is ribbon sealer (the stuff you put compound glass windows back in with). It comes in a roll for like $9 at the auto parts store. Unfortunately it's not cheap, but it works really well with the minimum amount of mess. It also works good for reinstalling the heater core. You will have to be a little inventive putting the HVAC box back together. You are just going to have to use some screws and zip ties in a inventive fashion. This job should take you about a day. Sorry no pics, good luck.

Kurt