Ever get yelled at for doing things the right way?

billison

I like tinted tail
15 Year Member
Feb 27, 2006
stl
I’m sure you guys have experienced this, you fix your fox the correct way or try to help someone fix theirs and a third party jumps in to say your stupid for doing it that way.

Here are two of my favorites.
1. I riveted my replacement door handle into the car... “ why would you do that! Use bolts, it’s so much better!!” Ummmmm no.

2. Coached a guy through properly fixing his egr ( that was his goal) “ don’t be dumb, just delete it, hot gas in the intake hurts it” .... yeah... that’s not how that works...

What’s your favorite that you’ve experienced?

• Sponsors (?)

I’m sure you guys have experienced this, you fix your fox the correct way or try to help someone fix theirs and a third party jumps in to say your stupid for doing it that way.

Here are two of my favorites.
1. I riveted my replacement door handle into the car... “ why would you do that! Use bolts, it’s so much better!!” Ummmmm no.

2. Coached a guy through properly fixing his egr ( that was his goal) “ don’t be dumb, just delete it, hot gas in the intake hurts it” .... yeah... that’s not how that works...

What’s your favorite that you’ve experienced?
Are you slamming me for using bolts on my door handle?? How dare you! :p:D

• Surprised
Reactions: 1 user
Yup. On FB all the time.

I remember when I was having an issue with my rear Bilstien struts. You wouldn't believe the number of people who told me to stop being a sissy and cut, pound or hack it in there. In the end, one of the washers was installed incorrectly.

Hacks everywhere.....

Reactions: 3 users
Was asked my opinion on repair work to an 88 gt, I fixed a couple vacuum lines that were broken then gave him a list with four things that needed attention, was told by another person that since the car ran good no need in fixing those things, I guess I should be grateful to his friend for the future tow money I get when his driveshaft fails.

Reactions: 1 users
I spent a full 8 hours wiring and plumbing a friends car for big nitrous.

That included using a dedicated fuel delivery system with a return regulator, and 12v/30amp relays on everything that had a high current draw. ( So,...fuel pump, and solenoids)
The next time I'm over at his house, I see that everything that I had done had been bypassed, and there was a spark plug screwed into the return port of the regulator, and every solenoid was now wire nutted directly to the hot "switched" wire by the guys old "expert".
When I asked him why, his expert told me that they didn't need none of that fancy sht I had installed, and everything had been working fine till I messed with it.

I told the friend that he'd have to use his guy from now on.

I spent a full 8 hours wiring and plumbing a friends car for big nitrous.

That included using a dedicated fuel delivery system with a return regulator, and 12v/30amp relays on everything that had a high current draw. ( So,...fuel pump, and solenoids)
The next time I'm over at his house, I see that everything that I had done had been bypassed, and there was a spark plug screwed into the return port of the regulator, and every solenoid was now wire nutted directly to the hot "switched" wire by the guys old "expert".
When I asked him why, his expert told me that they didn't need none of that fancy sht I had installed, and everything had been working fine till I messed with it.

I told the friend that he'd have to use his guy from now on.

LOL....a week later.. " Hey Mike, my car is on fire. Can you come over and help me put it out?" Response..."Nope. Call the expert." :D
I can relate to this post. I have a couple "friends" that want me to do hours of research on how they should do something then all they do is decide to do it the sloppy way. Now I just make a friendly excuse why I can't help them. Much less stress!

Yup. On FB all the time.

I remember when I was having an issue with my rear Bilstien struts. You wouldn't believe the number of people who told me to stop being a sissy and cut, pound or hack it in there. In the end, one of the washers was installed incorrectly.

Hacks everywhere.....

Your first mistake is posting any car question on FB. People argue just to argue. Like troll to invite more trolls to your question. I used to once in a while enjoy reading comments, but now it only takes 2 or 3 comments down before I wonder why I am even in a foxbody FB group. One day it’s about trucks, the next Dodge Caravan parts are for sale on it...

But back on topic. I only have one close buddy that is into cars like me. We are very similar, and both do our best to do things correctly. Neither would ever purposely criticize the other, we would just ask if this or that may help or work better. I have whittled down my friends to a smaller number that actually serve good purpose in my life. No use in keeping people around that want to bring you down.

Reactions: 2 users
Your first mistake is posting any car question on FB. People argue just to argue. Like troll to invite more trolls to your question. I used to once in a while enjoy reading comments, but now it only takes 2 or 3 comments down before I wonder why I am even in a foxbody FB group. One day it’s about trucks, the next Dodge Caravan parts are for sale on it...

I know, it's painful but they do have the traffic to answer the obscure question. I asked in forums and didn't get much. Asked on FB and even though it was painful I did get the right answer in a short period of time.

Once I confirmed the answer I deleted that post to avoid the arguements for the sake of arguements. Drives me crazy

I have the worst story ever. Not like a right fix but the right thing to do.

Back in the early 90's I was Service Writer for a Chevy Dealership in Palm Beach, FL. I was a Service Tech first then did this.

A Chevy Blazer came in on a flatbed, it was after 5 and not many people around. A few of use unloaded the truck. The owner of the truck was in the flatbed, he jumped out and said on the way to golf the oil light came on and the engine is smoking smelling of burnt oil.

He had to leave in a hurry for his golf game so we popped the hood and oil was everywhere. Pulled the dipstick and the oil was low (not empty). After looking around I found that the oil cap was off and amazingly I found it in the engine compartment. Put it on, filled up the engine with oil and cleaned all the oil everywhere. The motor was fine, that was it.

My Manager wanted me to call the customer and tell him the motor was blown which needs replacing. I actually told him no, I can't do that. We went back and forth but eventually he gave this case to another writer who did just that. Something like $9,000+ because the owner topped off the oil and forgot to put the oil cap back on.

I wound up quitting, I went above my Manager and told the owner of the Dealership how wrong this was and how can you all sleep at night. I threatened to call the customer and tell him what they are doing to him. The next day I came in to get my stuff and the truck was gone. The owner picked it up and a Tech told me they came clean with the customer. Well sorta, just did the....beyond further inspection we found that the motor did not run without oil....blah...blah.

A guy I work with has several Fox Mustangs. None of them run or drive for various "reasons" and haven't for several years. We got on the subject of plans for my car where it quickly devolved.

Here are a few gems that are worth noting:
-It's pointless for me to build a street motor unless it makes 600hp, and with TW heads and a custom cam (among other parts) it might as well be left stock
-300rwp isn't a fun street car
-I'm dumb for wanting to leave it a 302/306 and not a stroker
-The crankshaft is the weakest part of the engine, and one that needs oversized bearings after it's been ground/polished isn't worth using because it's significantly weaker
-Subframe connectors are pointless on a street car because the chassis doesn't flex unless you're racing it (drag or otherwise), and floor pans don't tear because of chassis flex
-It's pointless to want to keep the original engine as an assembly and build a new one, same with the transmission
-Factory brakes are adequate for road racing
-People on Mustang forums are nothing but keyboard jockeys that don't work on this own cars

There are a few others, I just don't remember at the moment and I stopped caring what he had to say.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I've helped a girl from work with a brake job. She said she got the parts from friend at auto
Zone. I got to her house and she only got the pads.when I pulled the calipers the rotors were shot,I mean deep groves,she didn't want to buy new rotors.I told her the the pads would wear into groves in no time,butt she insisted she had no money to put into this crapmobile. Fast forward three months , say Nick my brakes are making noise , didn't you just fix them? Go figure.

I’ve seen stuff like that twice. Once in college I went to a bible study and we needed ice and one of the girls had me parked in so I used her car, when I hit the brakes the car shook so hard the dash was coming loose. I spent the Bible study changing nonexistent Pads,.

In high school , a guy came into autoshop saying his brakes were loose... he had ground through his rotors ... like the rotors where now 2 separate parts...