Ever raced a classic?

Cobain03

Aug 27, 2003
Lexington, Ky
how does any year cobra compare to a car about like mine..i was thiking of getting a snake but dont want somethin that i would have to upgrade that much. I know the 03 and 04's would prolly leave me but thas the difference between a $7k car and a $30k car

• Sponsors (?)

I had (still have but it is in pieces) a 67 coupe with a 289 that was bored .40 over, 10:1 compression, nearly a .650 lift cam, high rise edel intake, 750cfm carb, full headers...yadda, yadda, yadda....
NO comparison...
The 67 was nice for what it was, but 04 snake would walk it easy, plus the creature comforts etc are much better on the 04.

I can't speak for any other year Cobra, but I did have a 03 Mach1 which, if I'm correct, has the 'old' 4v cobra motors (pre-supercharged). The 03 Mach1 would pull on the '67 I had too...
I think some of this boils down to personal preference....you can def sink some cash into a classic and have a seriously fast car, but it still wouldn't be a Cobra... :shrug:

The mach1 I got about 16-17 city...
I've only got about 600miles total on the Cobra so it is still really new but I got about 13 - 14 this last tank, but that should get a bit better once the motor breaks in....if I can keep my foot out of it :D

The difference in ride quality and comfort alone will amaze you if you've never driven a later model mustang. Assuming that what is listed in your signature is all that's been done to your car, any year of Cobra will be a major upgrade for you both in performance and driving experience.

I don't have a Cobra, but my Steeda is probably similiar powerwise (doesn't mod as well). I raced a near-stock '70 Hemi 'Cuda and smoked him pretty bad. I also ran a built small block '68 Camaro. He had slicks, traction bars, etc.. This was a lot closer race but I still walked him (wasn't from a dig). My girl friend said they weren't real happy.

I've also raced a couple in my stock '99 Stang. I was surprised that I beat a SS396 Nova (probably driver error). I lost pretty bad to a '69 small block Camaro though.

Steedaq said:
I
I've also raced a couple in my stock '99 Stang. I was surprised that I beat a SS396 Nova (probably driver error).

I was watching Hot Rod TV on Sunday and they were doing exhaust and headers on the Chevy guy's 68 ss396 Nova. They dyno'd it afterwards and I was shocked that it only pulled 245hp at the rear wheels. I guess they were all torque and not much for horsepower.

From the discription of your 65, it sounds like the 289 was originally rated about 225 gross horse power. That would be about 175 net horse power.
With the mods I would say you are in the low 200s in net horse power. This sound about right? You likely weigh in at about 3100 lbs. I had one very similar to it in 1965.

That would put the 99 to 01 cobra or Machs about 100 horse power more than you have, but with about 300 lbs more weight. Big difference in performance, so I think you will like it. Handeling is much better in the new ones.

I still like yours though.

In the 60s and early 70s the engines were rated in gross horse power instead of net horse power like they do today. This was at the crank not at the wheels. There's very roughly a 20% difference between the two.

2700# seems a bit low. I believe mine weighed in at just over 3000#.

gross horsepower is with no accesories hooked up to the engine and is measured at the crank...net horsepower from the manufacturer is still at the crank, but with all the accesories(a/c, power steering, alternator etc, etc) hooked up..just to clear that up

why dont they just take a finshed car and dyno the thing at the tires...this would solve all the confusion..really, it doesnt really matter what it makes at the crank does it. anyways...how would a sn95 svt's match up to me?