Every shop says 3.73's over 4.10's

• Sponsors (?)

sixstringthing said:
this site IS very race-oriented... I mean look, people are already talking about quarter mile times and launching.... I said in my original post, my car is a daily driver.
And im still wondering if that 2300 @ 70 with 4.10's is legit on an 02? Sounds lower than what ive heard before.
The prob is if the 4.10's are higher than that, im not going to be able to have any fun on the highway, i'm going to have minivans passing me by. If around 80 your doing close to 3k rpm's, that's cool for passing someone but there's no way I want to cruise at 3k... so if I got 4.10's i'd have to drive @ around 65 to stay at a comfortable RPM, while soccer moms and geo metros are speeding on by me. With 3.73's I could just downshift when I want to, not like it's that much effort to move it from 5th to 4th. If it really is 2300 RPM @ 70 i MIGHT be able to live with that, otherwise I doubt it.

Please just listen... From somebody who has 4.10s to somebody who is getting worried about them. 70 mph is perfectly comfortable at 2300 rpms in 5th gear. No NOTICABLE difference in gas mileage. I can't stress enough that the 4.10 gear is perfect for the mustang, racing or not. You will have so much more fun driving your car.

boomshack said:
And yet you took the time to write in on this (according to you) BS forum...no need to insult those of us who love mustangs but aren't mechanics or hardcore racers.
I didn't say the forum is BS, just most of the posts. The truth is what it is. Sorry if you felt I insulted you. I never meant to personally attack you or anyone - just stating the obvious.

just some guy said:
i have never seen threads with so much mis information about 5% of you know what your talking about and the rest of you dont know anything so ill make it real simple.

c. many s/c cars run 4.10s, mainly because centrifigal blowers dont make much low end torque, so the 4.10s compensate for that, and then you say well, you could only run low 12s as indicated by the trap speed, well that is good in theory but most people with blowers raise their redlines to 6500 because the car continues to make power that high.

Everything else you said was correct except this. Most people run 3.73's when blown b/c they run out of mph at the track if they went to 4.10's which would put them in 5th through the traps. And what most people are you speaking of???? A majority of the guys running blowers on the boards still have a stock set-up (at least in terms of heads/cam), and any good tuner would advise against them running the car to 6500rpms just cause it gets more power up there (and its also depends on the set-up b/c this is not always the case). With most of the fuel systems given in the s/c packages, most of them wouldnt be able to supply enough fuel up there anyways (which means you have to cut the timing, etc to safeguard the motor thus producing less power even though their maybe more boost), which is another major reason why that's not a common practice, not to mention the other 187641263491324 reasons like valve float, extra strain on the already fragile rods, etc....

I've had both 3.90's and currently have 3.73's. Even jumping down from 3.90's seemed like a decent hit in acceleration, but it's still plenty fun. If you arent every planning on going to the track, but still want good peppiness, then I'd say consider the 3.90's as well. It's a good middle ground between the two crowds, plus it's another way to stand out from the crowd.