excessive bumpsteer with 96 and up spindles

XavB

Mar 9, 2003
Honolulu, HI
I have searched and searched and haven't found anything so gonna post up.

I'm getting the front and rear brakes off of a 1999 Cobra. I'm getting the spindles off the Cobra also. However, I contacted Maximum Motorsports who stated that the car will have excessive bumpsteer that will not be easily corrected if I use those spindles with a stock k member. Has anybody used these spindles before? If so, do you have this problem? And those with 96 to 98 spindles, do you have any issues with bumpsteer?

• Sponsors (?)

I told them that I had a bumpsteer kit...MMTR-2..one of theirs lol...and they said it would still be an issue, unless I get a tubular K-member. I think this is kind of odd that they say this though because I've been looking up on the different spindles and never heard of this issue. If a bumpsteer kit will solve it then that would be great.

It's not really a bumpsteer problem, unless you lower that setup. It's more an issue with the tie-rod length. The spot where you mount the outer tie-rod ends on the spindle is further out than the pre 96 style spindles, so you end up screwing the tie rods out too far.

Either way, a good bumpsteer kit will solve both issues.

I should update my sig...and should have posted my suspension mods...sorry...for the front I have the mm bump steer kit, mm caster camber kit, mach 1 springs (with 1 coil cut off), and bilstein shocks, so it is lowered. So it looks like I should be fine.

Yea, you will be fine. I have 96+ spindles on my 88 coupe, with a stock rack and I don't have any problems. When I aligned it, I just centered the tie rod ends so I don't have any issues. With a bumpsteer kit, you will have NO problems.

So I take it this is all going on a 1992.

MM might be right. I have a 1992 convertible with Bullitt springs 1/2 coil cut off, MM C/C plates, MM bumpsteer, and Bilstein struts. I also added new FRPP a-arms. Now I used 95 spindles and I though I was going to need to use most of the stack in the bumpsteer kit, because of the steering knuckle being curved. But I was wrong. I actually bumpsteered the car and found out I didn't need what I thought. My ride height is 25.5(ground to fender lip) with 18 inch Saleens with 245/40/18 tires. Tires are 25.7 in diameter.
So I removed the front springs and disconnected the sway bar. Found out I only needed .528 for the passenger side and .557 for the driver side. That is .005 of movement though 2 inches of travel up and down.
Using a stock k-member also. So if you take into consideration that the 96+ spindles have a straight steering knuckle and the 95 have a curved steering knuckle. You may have some issues.
Also, I run full caster.

As long as he centers the tie rod ends, he should be fine. I have 96+ spindles with stock control arms and stock k-member on my 88 and everything is fine.

When I first installed the spindles I had to screw one of my tie rod ends out so far that the inner end was barely threaded into the outer. But once I put it on the alignment rack, I centered both sides, then did the alignment. But I think most bumpsteer kits would solve that problem anyway.

Bump steer occurs when something has been changed the angle of the tie rod from the rack to the spindle. So in this case, if you change the spindles and the rod end link is lower or higher than stock... when your suspension is bound or unbound this will pull or push your spindle making you go left and right over bumps and depressions.
What I'm trying to say... adjusting your rack for "toe" is just that, and using your bumpsteer kit should address bumpsteer.

As long as he centers the tie rod ends, he should be fine. I have 96+ spindles with stock control arms and stock k-member on my 88 and everything is fine.

When I first installed the spindles I had to screw one of my tie rod ends out so far that the inner end was barely threaded into the outer. But once I put it on the alignment rack, I centered both sides, then did the alignment. But I think most bumpsteer kits would solve that problem anyway.

Do you run offset rack bushings?