EXcessive camshaft endplay ???

BlackBaer5.0

Nov 26, 2003
well my 91 302 shortblock was coming together fine until this lil problem happened..what am I doing wrong

I got he block back from the machineshop with all freezeplugs and camshaft bore plug already installed. I dropped the crank in and now Im working on the cam.. a ford E-303 cam

well I installed the camshaft, and then bolted the cam retainer/thrustplate (2 bolts) BTW the reatiner plate looks brand new.

I installed my guage on the block , but I didnt need it. the spec show a proper endplay as 0.0006-0.0009 in endplay with a service limit of 0.055
Now Im able to move this cam back and forth like 1/4 on an inch..

the ford shop manual says nothing more that install cam attatch plate...measure endplay ..thats it..

what am I doing wrong..
Am i not mesuring right or did I not install something like a anti-walk button like chevy's

thanks for your help
geoffrey

• Sponsors (?)

Well I searched around and it looks like the answer is I should install the cam timing chain and gear, and then measure.. but thats not what my ford shop manual says..

1 install cam
2 install plate
3 check endplay ........then
4 install timing chain assembly

but my chiltons say check with timing gear on, but its not refering to a engine build up

It is the cam gear that is taking up the slack in endplay or is it the chain that holds it in place..the latter would seem quite unstable.

thanks
geoffrey

when you imstall the harmonic balancer that will align the timing chain sprocket and the crank sprocket, so the cam will have some play but should go out of align with the crank gear. good luck, i just did my shortblock last week.