Excessive Fuel Tank Fumes !!!

1redprix

Apr 10, 2005
Ok Heres The Deal...i Bought A "plug" For The Egr Valve ...installed It..drove The Car For A Few Hours..the Next Day I Took Off The Egr Valve And Plugged The Vacume Line...drove It For An Hour...let It Sit Overnight Again And It Was Low On Gas And It Was Very , Very, Hot Out That Day ...i Drove It For About 10 Mins And The Check Engine Light Came On And Ran About The Same...i Took An On Ramp In 3rd Gear And Gave Her Some Gas And When I Hit 4k Rpm It Stummbled So I Let Off The Gas And It Was Fine..but When I Got Homei Could Here A Hissing Noise In The Rear Of The Car And I Removed The Gas Cap "slowly" And It Had What I Thought To Be An Excessive Amount Of Fuel Vapors...the Car Has Had No Emissions On It For Years Except The Egr Valve....what Is The Problem...the Check Engine Light Is Solid It Does Not Blink...i Dont Have A Scanner ..is There A Way To Check The Code Otherwise???

• Sponsors (?)

run a search for "codes" w/ by the user name Jrichker...he has directions on how to pull codes w/ just a paperclip.

I'm sure the code is because your EGR is not hooked up...it is a part of the emissions; by the way, the EGR isn't functional at WOT, so it really won't hurt your performance - really no reason to remove it. I would suggest putting the EGR back on.

Also, there's a line that runs from the fuel tank all the way up to the front of the car to a charcoal box (located a few inches up and under where the smog pump would be on a stock car) that helps get rid of the fumes. I would make sure that line is connected and isn't clogged.

I am with James. The fact that the gas tank had vapor vac stored suggests the line to the charcoal cannister is clogged or that there is another EVAP issue. A cracked EVAP line or cannister can stink (of fuel) pretty bad.
Good luck.

well heres the thing...the car hasnt had a charcoal canister on it for years....i do belive i pulled the line of from it to the tank and left just the part in the tank for the breather line...and the plug i bought for the egr is to trick the computer that it is opening and closing like it should.