excessive rear brake pad wear

I have an 07 Shelby GT which has the same rear disc brakes as the 05 - 09 GT's. At 25,000 miles one of the rear brake pads went metal to metal. Ford replaced that rotor, caliper and all the rear pads. At 30,000 miles all the rear pads went metal to metal. Under warranty, Ford replaced both calipers, both rotors, both parking brake cables (TSB) and new pads. The front pads still have about 1/4 remaining and are orginal. I admit the car is used for open track and solo on the weekends, but most of the miles are street. Has anyone else had this problem? How about it open trackers, any recommendation for new brake pads? I cannot upgrade to larger brakes and stay in stock class for SCCA solo.

Attachments

• DSCN5073.jpg
    DSCN5073.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 129
  • Sponsors (?)

with all the brake components at the axle being replaced and still having the problem, i would say the problem has to be farther up the line. could be a master cylinder problem, or even an ABS module problem. take it back to the dealer and have them look at it again.

I've heard of rear pads being roasted by the TCS system if it engages. This usually has been observed by road racers and autocrossers who drive with the system on. If you don't then I'd go with the previous post.

I have an 07 Shelby GT which has the same rear disc brakes as the 05 - 09 GT's. At 25,000 miles one of the rear brake pads went metal to metal. Ford replaced that rotor, caliper and all the rear pads. At 30,000 miles all the rear pads went metal to metal. Under warranty, Ford replaced both calipers, both rotors, both parking brake cables (TSB) and new pads. The front pads still have about 1/4 remaining and are orginal. I admit the car is used for open track and solo on the weekends, but most of the miles are street. Has anyone else had this problem? How about it open trackers, any recommendation for new brake pads? I cannot upgrade to larger brakes and stay in stock class for SCCA solo.

To me it sounds like you are leavnig your TCS on at the track. You can toast a set of pads pretty damn quick if you leave the traction control on at the track.

I've heard of rear pads being roasted by the TCS system if it engages. This usually has been observed by road racers and autocrossers who drive with the system on. If you don't then I'd go with the previous post.

One of the starting line rituals is turn off the traction control. It's hard to throw the rear end around with it engaged. Good thought, thanks

with all the brake components at the axle being replaced and still having the problem, i would say the problem has to be farther up the line. could be a master cylinder problem, or even an ABS module problem. take it back to the dealer and have them look at it again.

I will call my dealer and see if they have a way to check the ABS and master cylinder pressure, bet they don't. THANKS

One of the starting line rituals is turn off the traction control. It's hard to throw the rear end around with it engaged. Good thought, thanks

That's my usual ritual wherever I go not just at the track :nice: still once at an Auto-X event I shut the car off between two rounds and forgot to TCS off at the next one which resulted a less then epic throttle cut in the middle of a powerslide right before the finish line.

My '06 GT's left rear brake seems to have been hanging up, and now that wheel is down to metal-to-metal contact. I can hear the brakes hanging on after I release the brake petal at a stop sign for about 20-30 yards. I'm going to replace the rotors, but before I do, I want to make sure I don't run into the problem again. Any ideas on what to check? I've had the e-brake cables replaced about a year ago, and being that the brakes only bind when I'm hitting the pedal, I don't think its the cable or e-brakes sticking.