Excessive shifter movement?

myponyrocks

I have more billet on the Stang than most women ha
Apr 18, 2004
I think any way. I would like to think that I pay attention to every aspect of my car, but there is a chance I've just never noticed before.

Any way at any speed the shifter rocks forward and back what seems to me like a lot. Maybe up to 1/2" but more likely about 1/4" of play either direction. When car is off I can't reproduce by physical force, so it's only with engine on and rolling. I'll prob. have to take a vid I suppose if I can find some one to ride shotgun with me or something.

With my hand on the shift knob it still does it, I can't lessen the movement. It looks a lot worse than it feels. By grip it doesn't feel any different than it ever has. I just checked the transmission cross member (or whatever it's called... black piece about 3ish inches wide and holds the tranny up) and the bolts were tight.

I'm assuming if it's not normal that it could be the tranny mounts?

Car is about to hit 68k miles so I'm assuming it's about time to upgrade the mounts any way. Car is a DD with monthly track visits and "fun launches" on the street when safe.

Is ther a reccoomended brand or material? Or is OEM best? Car should be putting down around 400 rwhp at sea level and similar torque.

Thanks for any ideas or reccomendations in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

I would say its the trans mounts. I had a very similar problem on another car of mine a while back and it was the trans mounts. Ill bet if you do a burnout that shifter will bounce around like crazy.

I think any way. I would like to think that I pay attention to every aspect of my car, but there is a chance I've just never noticed before.

Any way at any speed the shifter rocks forward and back what seems to me like a lot. Maybe up to 1/2" but more likely about 1/4" of play either direction. When car is off I can't reproduce by physical force, so it's only with engine on and rolling. I'll prob. have to take a vid I suppose if I can find some one to ride shotgun with me or something.

With my hand on the shift knob it still does it, I can't lessen the movement. It looks a lot worse than it feels. By grip it doesn't feel any different than it ever has. I just checked the transmission cross member (or whatever it's called... black piece about 3ish inches wide and holds the tranny up) and the bolts were tight.

I'm assuming if it's not normal that it could be the tranny mounts?

Car is about to hit 68k miles so I'm assuming it's about time to upgrade the mounts any way. Car is a DD with monthly track visits and "fun launches" on the street when safe.

Is ther a reccoomended brand or material? Or is OEM best? Car should be putting down around 400 rwhp at sea level and similar torque.

Thanks for any ideas or reccomendations in advance.

Do you _really_ mean forward and backward? Forward as toward the engine, backward as toward the trunk? Can't imagine how that would be possible. I have seen them move side to side that much or more when motor mounts are in sad need of replacement... but I don't see how it could go forward and backward that much, mainly because there is no forward type of thrust produced by the motor, it wants to "twist" in the mounts and make the lever move side to side...

it moves toward the engine and towards the trunk while driving... like when the roads bumpy even in the slightest... I supposed I'll need to take a video of said event.

I didn't notice it until the other day. And new things usually worry me :)

I'm sure I need new motormounts the way I drive and the car about to hit 70k.. I suppose I'll get new ones when I fix my header leak.

OP I just ran into this tonight with my friends GT. It was something very stupid. His bolts for the shifter to tranny were all loose. Just something to look at :shrug:

I'll take a look, I should prob. clean under there any way. As soon as it stops raining I'm gonna go piss my apt. complex off and do an interior tear down and rebuild :p