exhaust cut outs

ronstang94

May 10, 2007
Phx, AZ
I have to replace my cats on my xpipe and im thinking of putting some cut outs right before them also. Has anyone done this? Is there any reason I shouldn't do this? Will the lack of back pressure hurt the engine?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

The loss of back pressure will effect the low end (might feel delayed)
It will feel like your timing chain is bad probably and there will probably be a delay between pedal depression and you feeling your car accelerate:(
The car in my opinion will be dangerously loud. What I mean by that is that you will not be able to hear if somthing in your car is acting up. Hearing and feeling your car is very important in my opinion because you can not rely on gauges for everything.
Also it might be fine at idle but when you hit the gas every cop will be on you and lining up with tickets. You can say it is stock but eventually they look and then you a really sol.
unless you have $$$ and dont care about points against your license, I say go with a nice sounding exhaust and not for loud annoying one.

if you have the cash, I would recommend a set of electric cut outs from QTP. I lucked up on a set used for about 125 bucks and just had them installed. Talk about awesome. I'm loud when I want to be and when the law comes around I'm in the good 100%. :) I know a new set will set you back around 400 bucks or so but maybe you could luck up and find a used set. With that being said, I would think you would want the cut outs back towards the crossover. Having it close off the heads I would think would almost be unbearable

You meand like this.

DSC01430.jpg

DSC01413.jpg

Attachments

• DSC01430.jpg
    DSC01430.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC01413.jpg
    DSC01413.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 49
Any loss of flow or HP with the electric ones?:shrug:

I have a single 3" QTP electric cut-out about 10"s down my Downpipe. When it's closed the car is quiter than stock, when It's open the car comes alive. It's a pretty cool addition.

With having a Turbo on the car, less back pressure = more Horsepower.

On a NA car, don't think its really worth it, except for the cool factor.

-Will

haha, I could picture sitting at a stop light...and having a civic or something pull up next to you and rev up....you rev it up with the cut-outs closed....

thennnn, open 'em up

and rev it up again haha...then look at the face/

It'd be great

Its mostly the cool factor:D . It was either get magna packs or have the ability to go loud or silent when needed or wanted. :D That Hpipe cost me about $480:eek:

$310 for the electric cutouts brand new.
$50 for the cutouts themselves
$120 for the Hpipe
Welding free luckly my friend is a welder.:nice:

when its raining I have them open just so I can tell what rpm I am at so I don't loose traction. on the highway I run maybe 50/50.

So far the cops haven't said anything. SO.......
Nor have they said anything about my headlights but they Hate tail lights that have been tinted or smoked, Ive seen 2 people pulled over with both having smoked/ blacken tail lights.:rlaugh: