Exhaust Hangers/Isolaters - how many do I need?

patman0911

Founding Member
Jun 5, 2002
Tuscaloosa, AL
How many of these guys do I need for my '96 GT?

getimage.php

I'm at work and can't crawl around under the car right now to count but I think there's four, right? Two in the back and a couple in the middle around the end of the mid-pipe. I need to pick some up today and replace them before my exhaust falls off.

Last time I was under there I noticed the ones holding up the tailpipes were badly rotted and I told myself I needed to replace those pronto. Then I promptly forgot about them until I woke up from a nightmare this morning about going over one of the 5,000,000,000,000 speed bumps they've put up in town and losing my exhaust :eek:

• Sponsors (?)

patman0911:

2 + 2 = 4. One on each muffler hanger and one on each tailpipe hanger near the bumper.

FWIW, you might try to go over the speedbump at an angle, if you have the room. Otherwise, you gotta slow down, brother!

HTH,

Chris

Yep. The one at the driver side muffler was torn clean in two when I got under there and the passenger side tore apart while I was trying to get it free. The ones on the tail pipes weren't too bad which is good since they only had 2 in stock - they can wait until the next time I hit the parts store.

Also discovered that the driver side muffler has something loose in it that rattles at certain RPMs which explains the annoying resonance I've been hearing for the last couple of days.

I've found taking the speedbumps head on is more comfortable than taking them at an angle but I gotta hit the bumps at just the right speed so that the car doesn't rebound down on to them after the front wheels go over (which is probably why one of my mufflers is now rattling). Some of them I can slide the passenger side wheels around them which is a lot better but most of them go curb-to-curb or extend off the shoulders. This wasn't much of an issue until this town got speedbump fever a year or two ago - the mayor or somebody on the city council must have an interest in a speedbump manufacturing company or something, it's f@#$ing ridiculous how many there are now and where they've put some of them.