Paint and Body Exhaust is in. Paint next but I need help with door alignment

65-Fstbk

15 Year Member
May 20, 2007
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Ok I have done some more work on the Fastback. All running gear is now in the car, American Autowire harness is installed except not connected at dash until the dash is painted. Just finished custom fabbing a 2 1/2" exhaust with H-pipe off of Hedman shorty's. Now looking towards paint.

One thing I'm not sure about concerns the doors. I'm not sure if I should apply the rubber weatherstripping to the door perimeter first b/c the rubber provides resistance as it compresses when the door closes which will likely change the way the doors line up (I'm talking about the 'in/out' alignment, not the gap between panels). Do most people paint and finish the inside of the doors first, apply the weatherstripping and then align in/out on the the doors before block sanding/prepping the exterior for paint.

Any help is really appreciated. Thanks.

Chris

• Sponsors (?)

Rubber goes on last . Door alignment is kind of a pain no matter how you do it . I always set the doors first then re adjust if needed ,it is usually just a small adjustment . The problem is ,the new rubber is stiffer that the original and the doors take more force to close untill the rubber compacts a bit