Exhaust is the hardest choice to make

ecko51

May 1, 2005
:bang:
Ok so I am looking for an axle back and I will add a cated X-pipe later.
I have an automatic so I am woried about drone.
I want them deeper over louder.
I would like to here them at idle and turn heads when I get on it.
I leave my house pretty early and would not like to wake the entire neighberhood.
I like the sound of the FRPP and borlas ( I know same thing )
I have read all that I can without gettinf dizzy and have listened to what I can.
But it's making me mental.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly helpfull.
Thanks, Mike C

• Sponsors (?)

corsa is pprobably best for what you want, deep low rumble, no drone at all, not loud at low rpm for those early mornings, but loud when you get on it, only true downside, they are $$$$. but i have heard that the price has dropped a bit.
hope that helps.

The Corsa sounds good, BUT I can't see myself spending that much on axle backs.

What other a-b's are known to have little or no drone. Since I am reading how the Borla's ( Frpp's) have major drone issues with an automatic.

Thanks,Mike

Love the flowmasters, good sound and not overly loud, little to no drone, very happy with mine.

I was originally hell bent on Borlas for my car but after a lot of reading on all of the Mustang forums (like 6 or how many of them there are) and hearing about Borla drone I went to my 2nd choice the flows.

ecko51 said:
The Corsa sounds good, BUT I can't see myself spending that much on axle backs.

What other a-b's are known to have little or no drone. Since I am reading how the Borla's ( Frpp's) have major drone issues with an automatic.

Thanks,Mike

SLPS sound very similair to corsa, they're just a tad bit louder. SLP's have no drone either, nada, zip none what-so-ever. And you can pick them up for just a tad bit more than 200 bucks

flows & O/R H sound great. i cant compare them to SLPs though. the flows/O/R H combo does have trumpeting at certain RPM. for example, the exhaust is 10X louder at 80 MPH than 75 or 85 (with stock gearing and manual trans).

One thing to note, though cost is an issue when making muffler selections, swapping them on and off is a pretty easy task. Much easier these days to try a few different ones out.

FWIW at the car show today of the modified cars there with stock exhaust up to the axle backs there was a good representation (FRP, Borla, Bassani and my Flows and by far the Flows had the best idle sound and a deeper note in general. At least in my opinion and my co-workers who was there with his FRP exhaust.

bigcat said:
flows & O/R H sound great. i cant compare them to SLPs though. the flows/O/R H combo does have trumpeting at certain RPM. for example, the exhaust is 10X louder at 80 MPH than 75 or 85 (with stock gearing and manual trans).

What causes the trumpeting and what can be done to make it sound better? I'm considering getting the flowmaster axle backs, a JBA offroad H pipe and eventually JBA Cat4Ward headers. And I would like to replace the stock pipes that go over the axle. Is there a company that makes an offroad H pipe that replaces those pipes as well or sell them separate or would I be better off having a shop cut them for me?

i think that it is the pypes design. the crossover is not 2.5" like the rest of the piping. dont know for sure. it will also go away with different throttle positions. a light cruise, heavy throttle, ot WOT and the sound great. its that medium acceleration that gets it every time.