Exhaust Leak

vmurh

May 26, 2004
I have a 2002 with 75,000 miles on it. At 38,000 Ford replaced the passenger side exhaust header because of a leak due to a/c water dripping on it, (So they Said).

Well, now the driver side began to leak. (All you folks posting about ticking sound, more that likely they are exhaust leaks on these 1999-2004 V6's)

Examining the header i see there must be 24 inches are more of welding on each exhaust header. These things are pieced together out of scrap i think. Know wonder why they have problems.

I used a tube next to my ear to find the exact location on the leak. Before taking off to have welded i applied an epoxy mix for exhaust headers from Auto Zone. I do not know how long it will last but what the heck. It sounds new again.

Has any one else tried this? How long did the patch last?

Van
91 5.0LX
94 GT Vert
02 Vert V6
03 Coupe V6

• Sponsors (?)

Nope never heard of anyone patching them before but it is commen for the passenger side to crack and it is because of the AC dripping on it. You can always put on some good shorty headers if they keep cracking.

I had to have mine replaced because of that, the AC dripping. Passenger side cracked and blew all to pieces. Mechanic said it is a common problem with our year model cars that the passenger side exhaust manifold/header area cracks and blows out. Cost about 200 to 300 bucks to get it fixed and replaced at a Ford dealership.

I had that problem with the '01. A girl in a Toyota Camry fixed it so I wouldn't have to deal with that problem though.
227381_56_full.jpg

I put in both of my v6's a 3/8 inch plastic pipe with an elbow in the AC drain to divert the water away from the exhaust system.

So far three days with the epoxy patch and all is well.

Did not take headers off for either of the two items i mentionedl

The epoxy was put on using a popcyle (SP) stick to reach the third down tube on the drivers side. Just spread the epoxy real thick and let cure for 4 hours. You will see all the weld joints on the headers. Use a tube close to your ear to find the exact spot of the leak.

To put the plastic are copper elbow on the a/c drain just add some sealent on the end of the piece and stick it in turning so the the water misses the exhaust as it drips out.

If it ever gets where i need new headers i think i would go to the junk yard and get a set off of a 94-98 V6. I do not think those year exhaust headers have all the weld joints on them.