Exhaust exhaust manifold leak

Enzio

Dang it. I was hoping mine would get 3 more inches
May 14, 2019
Minnesota
You're the best. Yes it's a stock cam.
I'll assemble parts and tools to get this back on the road.
I'm sure I'll have more questions.

• Sponsors(?)

2Blue2

I partied with that dude!, um girl, um whatever...
Mar 5, 2019
Oahu
1) Yes, it is possible to swap valve springs while the head is still on the engine. You will need adapters to connect compressed air to the spark plug hole of the cylinder you're working on. That allows the valve to stay in place when you remove/replace the spring.

I saw this done once with a piece of paracord fed into the spark plug hole and the engine turned by hand to hold valve with wad of rope.
It made me nervous but he pulled the tail he left hanging out after turning engine back a few degrees and all was good.

Reactions: Enzio

Enzio

May 14, 2019
Minnesota
I saw that too this morning. Some guy in Australia. Could barely understand but he did it.

Olivethefet

Slap me as well as point and laugh
May 17, 2018
Enterprise AL
I've heard of using air like that. It makes since that if you have good seating surfaces and good air pressure it would just hold the valve up in place.

Enzio

May 14, 2019
Minnesota
I'm trying to find an adapter for the large spark plugs that the 69 engine uses. Not having any luck so far. Worse case I'll use the rope.

Enzio

May 14, 2019
Minnesota
Enzio here.
Put up a new short video of the drive north to go fishing. I'm waiting for the valve springs and seals, and the valve spring micrometer and the valve keeper removal tool to show up.
Got the exhaust gaskets on. Wow what a job that was. I hope they work.
Found a broken piece of a rocker on the passenger side when I took the rocker cover off. I have a new one ordered so I'm waiting for that too. Pics and video link attached below.
Headed out hunting this weekend. Probably won't get the Cobra II back together until next week.

https://youtu.be/nnf99Ev87B8

Attachments

Reactions: Olivethefet

Enzio

May 14, 2019
Minnesota
I'm thinking defective casting. But I'll check it out when I replace the springs. I've got an extra new one to replace it. I'm trying to be positive. It was running fine.

Reactions: LILCBRA

2Blue2

I partied with that dude!, um girl, um whatever...
Mar 5, 2019
Oahu
Them small blocks are tough as hell
Once My buddy says his engine 'went away and was missing a little'

3 weeks of daily driving later and we figured out a ex. valve had broken off and speared a piston but it still ran.

Reactions: Enzio

Enzio

May 14, 2019
Minnesota
I'm pretty sure that most and if not caused by me, then all are the result of when my car was in possession of the ex and someone tried to start it. I have no proof but the battery was in the car and connected (dead when I finally got it back). Not something I did.
Ah well. It's definitely an adventure. And, it makes me smile when it does run good.

Reactions: LILCBRA