Fox Exhaust Question

dz01

Mar 31, 2005
Massachusetts
So I bought my car with a s/s magnaflow system, BBK headers/race cat already installed. The car was extremely quiet. Too quiet for my liking. I subsequently pulled the cats off which definitely made it sound louder, but I didn't like the tone. Sounded raspy. I then replaced the magnaflow mufflers with s/s 2 chamber flowmasters. Car sounds great, but is extremely loud which is awesome until I get a phone call or I really get on it and draw a lot of attention from any near by law enforcement.

My question is whether putting the cats back on would quiet it down considerably or just a little?

I probably should have replaced the mufflers first.

I'm sure someone is running flowmasters with BBK headers/cat.

• Sponsors (?)

We could've saved you a pile of time and money had you posted here sooner. Flowmaster's are universally known to be obnoxiously loud. Putting your cats back on will help a little, but nothing gets rid of that 1800-2300 RPM drone altogether. That's the nature of any chambered muffler.

STOCK cats will make the car quieter, but race-style aftermarket ones won't make a dent.

If it's drone you want to kill, no ifs ands or buts, the easy way is to install some Dynomax VT mufflers, which have a valve in them that stays closed and pretty quiet until you romp on it. I have them, and I like them a lot. They are the ONLY muffler I've ever had on the car, that honestly didn't drone. I dont' give a :leghump: what anyone says, every other muffler on the planet except for stock ones will drone unless you have longtubes.

The other way to completely knock it out is with 1/4-wave tube resonators. Harder to do, but works like absolute magic. http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/killing-drone-with-1-4-wave-tubes.861893/

Video of Dynomax VT's on my mustang, when I had dumps, with the microphone under the console directly below the armrest.

Reactions: 1 user
Taking off the Dynomax S/S mufflers and putting on 2 Chambers, on my god, that's like throwing out the shrimp sauce and pouring on ketchup. I'd put the dynomax's back on. They might be a little quieter, but at least you won't be seeing a psychiatrist in 5 years from post highway drone stress disorder.

Kurt

Reactions: 3 users
I've got the Pypes Race Pro's on mine and they're quiet and subtle and light cruise, throaty at moderate throttle and outright obnoxious at full cry. They're definitely a versatile muffler. Best part of all.....the're cheap. That being said, I also run long tubes and an O/R H-pipe.

Reactions: 1 user
I have Flowmasters with stock cats. Yes, they drone some. It actually doesn't bother me too bad though. I've done enough sound deadening in my car to make it much better. I actually like the throaty tone, just wish it was a little louder. I don't like obnoxiously loud, or that popping cherry bomb stuff or whatever it is, but a good growl when you get on it always sounds good to me.

My experience with cats over the years are ya cut or gut em!! theses days i just dont use them. The only exaust system that will ever be on my car is longtubes with shorty off road H pipe and Macs from there on back i have no drone its loud as hell but i like it that way just hold in the clutch and glide when law enforcement is around