Roush Exhaust questions - 02 S281E

:taco:stang said:
be prepared to spend some serious $$$ if u have headers installed.

I assume you are referring to the cost of the headers + the what appears to me to be a total pain in the a$$ install?

I assume there are many choices on headers, whatever I get will be ceramic coated.

I had ceramic coated hooker super comps on the 66 and they were expensive....... But easy to install in comparison to that I am looking at on this big ole fat mod motor.......

• Sponsors (?)

e

ya the acfuab tb is a great picece, the only thing required to install besides the small allen wrench, is an ohm meter, most people over look this step but it is crutial, wat you do is measure the ohms on the tps(throtle pos sensor)
in the sensor it has 3 prongs a b and c, put the negaitve on the b and pos on the a, and move the sensor (tiny bit of adjust ment from moving screws)
you want it to read 1.06 ohms, really easy, that will assure correct reading's
are sent back to the com, like i said most dont do this, just a little trick i learned
from kenne bell.

as for headers, go with the long tubes best for a supercharged car, and to the install, its a complete paint in the ass, people have differnt methods of doing it, most remove the front k meber and support the eng, if a shop is doing it your looking at $600-$800, its alot work for such a small gain but will help open up your exhaust and make a little more boost,

joe makes a killer intercoler for your car will def help in the hp department
as to the pulley situation, if your looking for big numbers go with the twin cobra setup, youll also need the cobra tank which is baffled,
id also go with some 55 or 60 inj with those mods and a full exhaust you should make some serious hp, enough to be having serious traction issues

I am going to buy some Ceramic coated Hooker Super Comps, I know they are pricey but I had them on my old coupe and they were sweet. Can someone verify if this is the right P# from Summit?

HOK - 6230 - 1KR

My questions is what do I need to change past the headers, i.e. what X-pipe / cats do I need to make this work. Right now my cats are up close before my factory X-pipe, basically looks like manifolds, down pipes, cats then X pipe.

I plan on keeping my existing mufflers and center exit exhaust.

Give me part #'s and where to source these items.

Also, I notice that everyone seems to go with an Accufab throttle body, are they better than the others?

OK, you guys might of answered this before but do I need a tune with the headers?

The first local shop I talked to said they were hesitant to "tune it" because it is a Saleen and something about the Saleens being a big mystery. What's up with that?

I have cash and want more power and I am not getting anywhere on the local forums trying to find someone to tune it.

Alright.

Here you go. I don't know where abouts in MO ( tuners/dyno ) you are but if you want to see more pop out of your "E" car, pulley down, headers (long tubes please) stainless Bassani true X pipe with stainless cats, 3.73's (you probably are running a 3.27 r&p) and then have that combo tuned. You will see at least 435-445 rwhp as long as your intercooler like Mike said is not running you hot. If your tuner can't get rid of the detonation with that combo then call Joe or Ronnie at Chicane Sport Tuning and purchase thier intercooler ( money well spent.)
Don't bother with a throttlebody, CAI or anything else. Just do what is proven, especially on your car.

Oh and while you are out go buy a new MGW shifter. That alone will improve your drive immediately. YOur shifter sucks.

Congrats on your purchase. It's a clean car. I have seen it in person.

Oh yea, It's better that the shop you went to admitted they don't know S*** about your car. Ignorance will fry your rings (even on an "E" car) and then you need to start over. The Saleen "tune" or "powerflash" is only a Fisher Price version of fuel and timing advance. You can do better from home with an SCT tuner and any one of the great tunes a lot of these huys out there have for your car. Your motor is a built 4.6 shortblock. It's not anything exotic.I know the guy who actually turned the wrenches on your motor. Since you are back east go read through some of ModularPowerhouse's forum threads. There's some serious motors being built there.

Cheers

washMO66 said:
OK, you guys might of answered this before but do I need a tune with the headers?

The first local shop I talked to said they were hesitant to "tune it" because it is a Saleen and something about the Saleens being a big mystery. What's up with that?

I have cash and want more power and I am not getting anywhere on the local forums trying to find someone to tune it.

Your running into the same problem I did. Just about everyone out there doesn't want to tune via e-mail. After playing around with the e-mail tuning thing, I would have to go along with the choice they have made. It is nearly impossible to get a good tune any other way than in person. For example, on several occasions I was unable to get my car re-dyno'd immediately after I e-mailed my results for various reasons. As a result, the environment variables were totally different and my results were totally different for what the programmer had tuned for. Even with small increments in the A/F we were still bouncing around form lean to rich and vise versa and never able to nail it. Eventually we got it close and I just used a Mafterburner Stage 1 to make minor A/F adjustments (no more than + or - 3%) load scaling tables get screwed-up. Anyhow, I would suggest taking a long weekend somewhere to get the car tuned properly. Personally, it is never too far to drive to get a good tune and save my car for unneeded damage, especially for the prices we pay.
With that being said, and if $$ isn't a big deal, try Performance Autosport, Inc. http://www.performanceautosport.com/ they specialize in Saleens or JMS Chip Performance http://www.jmschip.com/ - these guys actually use a mustang chasis dyno which accurately simulates real world loads. Other people have obtained excellent results from the folks over at Modular Powerhouse. Try consulting with Joe over at Chicane before you do anything, he's very knowledgeable and always willing to share his knowledge. The guy has never met me in person, but everytime I call, he is more than willing to answer all my questions and help when he can.

marcus95 said:
Alright.

Here you go. I don't know where abouts in MO ( tuners/dyno ) you are but if you want to see more pop out of your "E" car, pulley down, headers (long tubes please) stainless Bassani true X pipe with stainless cats, 3.73's (you probably are running a 3.27 r&p) and then have that combo tuned. You will see at least 435-445 rwhp as long as your intercooler like Mike said is not running you hot. If your tuner can't get rid of the detonation with that combo then call Joe or Ronnie at Chicane Sport Tuning and purchase thier intercooler ( money well spent.)
Don't bother with a throttlebody, CAI or anything else. Just do what is proven, especially on your car.

Oh and while you are out go buy a new MGW shifter. That alone will improve your drive immediately. YOur shifter sucks.

Congrats on your purchase. It's a clean car. I have seen it in person.

Oh yea, It's better that the shop you went to admitted they don't know S*** about your car. Ignorance will fry your rings (even on an "E" car) and then you need to start over. The Saleen "tune" or "powerflash" is only a Fisher Price version of fuel and timing advance. You can do better from home with an SCT tuner and any one of the great tunes a lot of these huys out there have for your car. Your motor is a built 4.6 shortblock. It's not anything exotic.I know the guy who actually turned the wrenches on your motor. Since you are back east go read through some of ModularPowerhouse's forum threads. There's some serious motors being built there.

Cheers

You guys rock, I am going to start ordering parts tomorrow and I think I have found a very reputable shop 3.5 hours from here in Illinois. I am going to just say **** it and order the intercooler from Chicane as well. I want it done right the first time and I am not afraid to spend some coin to get what I want. Hell, I saved over 20K buying this car instead of a new M3 so I have room to play. If you guys knew me you would know that I never do ANYTHING half ass, I want a car that I can drive that has mad HP.

Where did you see my car? You work for Saleen?

PS - When I nail it my boost goes to a solid 10PSI, is that right for my car stock? I assume so and how much boost am I going to be able to safely run? 14, 15? Clue me in.

You might want to measure the pulley on your car to see if its stock at 4". I seem to remember mine was about 8lbs stock at 4". I'm seeing 10lbs on mine now with a 3.75". Someone on another forum was running 18lbs on his E car, and I met someone at the Saleen show last year that was running a 3" pulley on his for about the same. He said it was making 550hp, but I don't remember if that was rear wheel, I think it was.

Yea Mike. That kid with that berylium vert with that small pulley. I don't think he really knew what he was doing. Everything else I sw on his car looked stock, ( of course I couldn't look at his fuel pump ) but 550 hp is a lot of pop. Birdie's nums are real though. Your stock pulley was a big ass pulley that's for sure. I'm glad you have that thing dialed in now.

justin said:
Wash-I assume you are taking your Saleen to Anderson Ford in Clinton?

Right on the money......

Just based on some info I have gotten from a few people and going through their Web site I was going to contact them next week and try to get something set up in the near future.

I hope they can do eveything I want done.

Tell me what you know about them....

They are very good but pricey. I have had them do some work on some of my other Mustangs I've had. I will be getting my 04 S/C tuned sometime in the Spring. Talk to Danny Biggs-he really knows Mustangs.

marcus95 said:
Yea Mike. That kid with that berylium vert with that small pulley. I don't think he really knew what he was doing. Everything else I sw on his car looked stock, ( of course I couldn't look at his fuel pump ) but 550 hp is a lot of pop. Birdie's nums are real though. Your stock pulley was a big ass pulley that's for sure. I'm glad you have that thing dialed in now.

If I'm not mistaken though, his dad was the S7 parts supplier and knew Steve personally, so I hope they got a little advise from Saleen on what they were doing. :shrug:

Not to high jack this tread, but yeah, the car is running sweet now. I gave up and took it Santa Margarita Ford. They have a tech there named Kevin that has done an amazing job with my car.