Exhaust Recommendations: 94 Convertible w/Automatic

GreenStangGT

Jan 29, 2004
I'm looking for recommendations for specific exhaust setups for a '94 convertible with an automatic. Headers and back.

Are there long tube options out there? I struggled to find any that were compatible with an automatic. If not, shorties and an H-pipe will work. Any good places I can purchase all at once?

• Sponsors (?)

I don't know if bassani still makes 94/95 parts, but that's what i would default to.
High quality, good sound, lasts forever.
First priority for me with exhaust is fitment and quality (prefer stainless). The sound i'll adapt to.

Me personally i'd forget long tubes, i've yet to figure out why anyone that doesn't own a race car uses them.
With all the fitment issues (steering shaft, trans, ground), i just don't see the point.
Guys easily make 500rwhp with equals...

You don't describe what you're looking for tone wise. Bassanni makes great exhaust and it sounds really good, but they're stainless and pricey. Some of the cat back kits increase freeway drone. Doing some research and having an idea of what you're looking for will reduce buyer remorse.

I've had 5-6 exhaust systems on my 94 over 17 years.

Best one for performance and sound was MAC Long Tubes, MAC Prochamber and MAC Cat Back. I've had the MAC ones in 2 sizes, 1-5/8" headers and 2.5" back on the 302 and then 1-3/4" and 3" back on the 347 Stroker. I've had unequal length shorties, equal length shorties but then went Long Tubes and this was it for me.

I've had a bunch of mufflers, Flowmaster Force II (3 Chamber), Flowmaster 40's (2 Chamber), MAC in 2.5" and 3", Borla, might be forgetting a few.

I've had MAC off road H-Pipe, MAC Catted H-Pipe, Bassani X-Pipe, BBK H-Pipe, Prochamber in 2.5" and 3" sizes.

I was obsessed with exhaust systems. My advice is Long Tube Headers (Ceramic if you can), Off Road H-pipe (X very tin sounding, have one now on my 94 project) and a chambered muffler. On a 302 go 1-5/8" headers and 2.5" all the way back.

I've had 5-6 exhaust systems on my 94 over 17 years.

Best one for performance and sound was MAC Long Tubes, MAC Prochamber and MAC Cat Back. I've had the MAC ones in 2 sizes, 1-5/8" headers and 2.5" back on the 302 and then 1-3/4" and 3" back on the 347 Stroker. I've had unequal length shorties, equal length shorties but then went Long Tubes and this was it for me.

I've had a bunch of mufflers, Flowmaster Force II (3 Chamber), Flowmaster 40's (2 Chamber), MAC in 2.5" and 3", Borla, might be forgetting a few.

I've had MAC off road H-Pipe, MAC Catted H-Pipe, Bassani X-Pipe, BBK H-Pipe, Prochamber in 2.5" and 3" sizes.

I was obsessed with exhaust systems. My advice is Long Tube Headers (Ceramic if you can), Off Road H-pipe (X very tin sounding, have one now on my 94 project) and a chambered muffler. On a 302 go 1-5/8" headers and 2.5" all the way back.
Excellent! But you didn't make a muffler recommendation other than chambered.

Sound is going to be dependent on if you run cats.
Which is something I never wanted to do back in the day, but would prefer to do now.
No cats is just loud, almost no matter how you slice it.

I wouldn't ever run mac anything ever again.
100% of mac products I've owned fell apart.
The sound imo is equivalent to flowmaster, which I would also not run again.

Excellent! But you didn't make a muffler recommendation other than chambered.

I sort of did, the MAC ones were actually the best in my opinion for headers, prochamber and catback. Just hard to find for a 94-95 these days or very expensive.

I also went with Ceramic coated headers to reduce heat.

Some don't like it, could be the climate. I live in South Florida so the weather is pretty much same all year round. I've had some bad MAC stuff too, it's hit or miss on everything really. I had Flowmaster's that rusted out and that Force II kit is on another car currently so 1995 to present and still going. Just never know.

I agree that the long tubes with pro chamber sound great. Personally I like them with a straight thru style muffler over the chambered though. Dynomax are some of my favorites.

You can ask 10 people which exhaust they prefer, and get 10 different answers though.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
I had a 95. Used FRPP shorties and had flowmaster exhaust, sounded excellent, but mine was a T-5. I don't think it will make much difference. The headers are good for a few HP. If your just cruising and not taking it to the strip, keep stock headers and change exhaust. I prefer the Flowmaster (I really like the rumble). You can go online and actually hear the different exhaust to select your preference.

Last edited: