Exhaust tip... Dumps=Bad!

StangyStealth

Founding Member
Dec 20, 2001
West Texas
Hey guys... i just got my exhaust put on and i am not happy. I went with the flowmaster 40 series, 2 1/2" with 3" dumps... not cool at all.. i do not like the sound the dumps make... too much interior resonance, everything vibrates.. and it doesnt have that hollow rumble sound that flowmasters have.. i know its not a v8, nor do i expect it to sound that way.. but it sounds like a glorified 4 cylinder...

I had the same mufflers put on my 98 v6 exept i used 2 1/4" piping with 3" tips out the back.. i loved it.. had the traditional fowmaster sound to it at idle and low rpms.. at high rpm's they all sound pretty much the same though..

now on to change.. gotta go out the back with it.. use some tips, that way it'll sound good!

• Sponsors (?)

It may be the 2.5" piping as opposed to the 2.25". Exactly where did you dump the ends at? If it isn't back by the bumper, then that may be where all the noise is coming from.

I once removed my MAC cat-back tips, which start just after the rear axle, and man was that exhaust louder than hell inside the cabin! Dumping them by the bumper may help interior sound and would help produce a more resonate sound from the rear of the car. I think that 2.5" piping wouldn't lend itself to a louder exhaust note as the gases aren't flowing as much through the pipe. :shrug: