Exhaust weld failed, is car still safe to drive until I get it repaired?

I was driving near home one night when I heard a bang and the car got a lot louder. After jacking my car up, I saw that the weld failed on the connecting pipe from the passenger side header to the catalytic converter. The car seems to run fine, it's just loud due to the open pipe from the engine. And no error codes are being displayed when I plug in the diagnostic scanner. Is it safe to drive as-is? Also, if I use the exhaust tape on it to temporarily quiet it until I get it fixed, will that damage the catalytic converter? I've attached a photo indicating where the weld break is.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 2050009.jpg
    2050009.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 233
  • Sponsors (?)

Exhaust tape and some carefully placed clamps could hold it together until you can get to it.

Don't let that be very long though. What's more is that you should be prepared to have to replace one or more sections of exhaust if it looks like it's rusted through.

If it's not rusted, it should be a quick and cheap fix at any Midas or Meineke.

Looking at it when I jacked it up, it looks like just surface rust. I don't think I can clamp it because of where the break is. It's right up against the and of the cat. Also, is it safe to drive as is?

How much ballpark does something like that cost to re-weld at places like that?

Looking at it when I jacked it up, it looks like just surface rust. I don't think I can clamp it because of where the break is. It's right up against the and of the cat. Also, is it safe to drive as is?

How much ballpark does something like that cost to re-weld at places like that?

They will remove the broken piece from the cat, insert a new one, and clamp or weld to the rest of the exhaust.

The well placed clamp BTW, is just to give your tape something to grip to.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ On the fly this is the best bet. Keeps you good until you can replace this part SOOOOON

Price will vary per shop. If it was me, I would do as suggested above to get by, but its only a patch and not meant to be a permanent fix.

No it is not good to run the car like this. It is important to get this fixed as soon as you can.

Last edited:
They will remove the broken piece from the cat, insert a new one, and clamp or weld to the rest of the exhaust.

I'm going to jack it up this weekend and see if I can get the part off and weld it myself, as I have a flux core welder. if nothing else, just to tack it in place and wrap it until I can get it someone to be fully welded or replaced. The thing is, when I bought the car it had an aftermarket exhaust on it, so I'm not sure if what's on there is a stock part or an aftermarket part.

supply picture of actual part. One of us will know if that is what we removed from ours
Sorry it took so long. The first 2 days it was raining (I live in apartment complex) and the next 2 I wasn't feeling well. This is all of the same part, I took a bunch of pics in case the detail in 1 or 2 wasn't good.

Attachments

• 100_2382.JPG
    100_2382.JPG
    163.6 KB · Views: 174
  • 100_2383.JPG
    100_2383.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 167
  • 100_2384.JPG
    100_2384.JPG
    233.8 KB · Views: 170
  • 100_2385.JPG
    100_2385.JPG
    176.9 KB · Views: 159
  • 100_2386.JPG
    100_2386.JPG
    213.3 KB · Views: 168
PB blaster on those bolts there and it looks like a break straight across. It is weldable if you can get it off.

Tack Weld it in place before you take it off if possible or make black lines where it needs to meet up. It would be a shame if you had to re-cut and weld because of the angle.

Clean out the insides on both ends, jamb a a ring in there that's about an inch or so wide and weld all the way around.

You could also run a ring on the outside of those two pieces (come to think of it) and that patch should hold until you more prepared to address the entirety of your aging exhaust system.

Clean out the insides on both ends, jamb a a ring in there that's about an inch or so wide and weld all the way around.

You could also run a ring on the outside of those two pieces (come to think of it) and that patch should hold until you more prepared to address the entirety of your aging exhaust system.

Can you tell me if that part is stock or not? If it's stock I'll just replace it. If not, I'll try to repair it? I have someone who can do the work but they don't do welding apparently and I'm a novice at best with welding.

YEP that ugly ass thing is stock. I wish I still had mine laying around when I took it all off for a dual set up. A guy around here needed one and took all I removed. I believe that is actually a Y pipe isnt it

Here is a Link for what I believe the full piece looks like
No, mine is actually an aftermarket dual exhaust setup by Flowmaster, I think. Like I said before, it was on the car when I purchased it in 2008. I didn't know if they put in an aftermarket setup from after the catalytic converters back, or from the headers back. It's why I was asking if the part was stock or not.