Exorcising a '78 Mach I

Just a short update as the wheel of Ka made it's way back around to her. Aired up the dry rotted tires. Added a couple gallons of fuel. swapped in the factory alternator from Christine and went for a ride. Kept her under 40 mph and only went a few miles but it is so smooth vs Christine. First gear on the rad4 is tall vs the t5.

I have the crappy wheels at the tire shop now to put the old 14's from christine on them. Maybe I can get exhaust soon.

Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Not much progress but finally have decent tires on her. Drove to the corner and back. Next up will be exhaust then an alignment. At the rate I am making progress that should be accomplished in... say.... 3 years.

PXL_20220902_133014387.jpg

• Winner
Currently sitting at the exhaust shop. I asked for noise level of 3 on a scale of 1 to 10. 1 being stock and 10 being open headers. I am okay with some rumble but I think this car should be the lazy cruiser. Since I am dumping the exhaust at the diff I don't want it to be so loud and drone to the point you cannot have a conversation.

The rad 4 shifter is so loose. Third gear is way up over there. Keep going... A little further. Yeah okay there it is.

Brake booster is not working. Open headers. Got to 45mph. Smooth as silk. Well as smooth as open headers can be. Once this is done it needs aligned and then take her on some longer shake down runs. l have only done the minimum so far to get her running on used parts and am certain some other items will need corrected as they are found.

He is going to fix the hatch latch mounting bracket as well. It's torn loose from the sail panel.

The wires are just temporary gauges. Once I get some confidence in it I will just use the factory gauges.

PXL_20220920_121956751.jpg

• Hell Yeah!
Great minds think alike - I'm actually window shopping for exhaust for my GT. I have a pair of Flowmaster 50 series Delta Flow in my wishlist on Summit's website. I have one on my truck and really like it - it's audible without being overly loud, which is the direction I want to go with my GT. If you're at the shop already, I'm gonna guess that they'll go with a turbo muffler. :nice:

Reactions: 1 user
She is back home. Yeah!!!

No exhaust work completed. Booo

This car came with new Hedman headers which I used. They end just in front of the transmission crossmember. They have an upward tilt and the crossmember blocks the collector outlet. It looks like the collectors should be tilted down or end at a point a couple inches lower. As they sit the crossmember is certainly in the way. With a double hump the drivers side will probably clear but the passenger side isn't close to clearing. The forward tube sits on the passenger motor mount as well. Just a poor design.

I have the old blackjacks here and another set of new hedmans. The hedman collectors are parallel to the mounting flange. The blackjacks have a notable tilt downward at the collector.

Is anyone here using the Hedmans? Would it be possible to get a picture of them at the crossmember? I wonder if maybe the set I have were bent somehow.

She is back home. Yeah!!!

No exhaust work completed. Booo

This car came with new Hedman headers which I used. They end just in front of the transmission crossmember. They have an upward tilt and the crossmember blocks the collector outlet. It looks like the collectors should be tilted down or end at a point a couple inches lower. As they sit the crossmember is certainly in the way. With a double hump the drivers side will probably clear but the passenger side isn't close to clearing. The forward tube sits on the passenger motor mount as well. Just a poor design.

I have the old blackjacks here and another set of new hedmans. The hedman collectors are parallel to the mounting flange. The blackjacks have a notable tilt downward at the collector.

Is anyone here using the Hedmans? Would it be possible to get a picture of them at the crossmember? I wonder if maybe the set I have were bent somehow.
There's some pics of my Hedmans in my build thread somewhere.

Thank you Matt. Mine are definitely bent wrong. Yours clear the crossmember by a couple inches. I can see your collectors from the side pics. Mine are burried way up there.

Time to modify!
Yep. I cannot afford the $1,000 new ones cost. I have 2 new sets of these headers so I will make them work. May have to find another exhaust shop. The guy I use has a huge shop out back where he builds custom hot rods. I would think this would be a minor bump in the road. Not a come pick your car up and get new headers kinda deal.

Headers are just mild steel tubing. I'd put either a long pry bar or piece of heavy steel pipe in the collector, heat the header with a torch, and bend back to shape.

Reactions: 1 user